Social Anxiety Support Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
103 Posts
My stepdaughter has just got back with a new friend in tow who I have never met.

They are in the kitchen, and I am hiding in a room next door and growing a big knot in my stomach. I should go in and introduce myself and be friendly, but I don't have it in me and wish they would just go. I even need the loo, but can't walk through where they are!!

This is so stupid and pointless - why am I like this?
I know how it feels, if my bf has someone at the door, I hide upstairs...

Take a deep breath or two, go in and just pretend you're getting a glass of water. Say "hi" if you can (even if it's mumbled). Your stepdaughter will introduce her friend if she wants to. You don't need to introduce yourself.

·
Registered
928 Posts
Ive felt that way, but from the other side, I was the stepdaughter. I wouldnt even go to the loo if she was in the house. If I just had to get out of my room, I would go straight to my pet bird and chat to him in the other room, I needed something to focus on. So it looked like I was okay and not dead in my room. She never cooked dinner for me, only her sons, so I would wait till after she went to bed to raid the fridge. It was no way to live.

How old is your stepdaughter? Because if shes young, teens to early 20s, I dont think theyd even notice. Just thinking of when I would visit 'friends' and theyre parents would just walk by and say hi, it was expected that we make conversation.
Perhaps, Mackenzie said, focus on getting a glass of water then when you get out there, acknowledge the friend. It doesnt have to be anything more than hi. My focus was my bird. It helped me alot.

·
Registered
47 Posts
I do the same thing! when someone I don't know very well comes over I hide away in my room and pretend to sleep.

·
Registered
149 Posts
I'm a hider because I don't think the guest(s) will like/be impressed with me, it's as simple as that; just another aspect of my low self-confidence and esteem.

·
Done with SA
1,818 Posts
I hate when guests come over that I've never met. I usually give a small intro, if I feel I must, and then retire to my room.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts