Social Anxiety Support Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Sea of clouds.
223 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Sitting on the bus, going home, and the girl across from me looked at me and smiled. And then I reacted in a way I have never before.

I actually looked back at her, made eye contact instead of looking away, and smiled back at her. It was great.

No, I didn't find the cure for cancer. I didn't solve the Navier-Stokes equations. This wasn't momentous. It was pretty pathetically small, and yet I'm still really happy about it. ...one wonders if there's something wrong with me. I mean, besides SA.

·
Banned
19,437 Posts
:) No, not at all. You're a beautiful and sensitive soul, 'tis all. As corny as that sounds.

·
Registered
61 Posts
Very corny..... but true. I had a similar experience, which was surprising considering that i was surrounded by gangster talking about "if they don't hit that n***** (sorry), they're gonna get 25 to life." It was a good but weird day.

Suggestion: Don't downplay your experiences just because they aren't meaningful by some external standard, or because they're insignificant in the grander scheme. They are meaningful to you, that makes them meaningful.

·
Registered
154,235 Posts
Sitting on the bus, going home, and the girl across from me looked at me and smiled. And then I reacted in a way I have never before.

I actually looked back at her, made eye contact instead of looking away, and smiled back at her. It was great.

No, I didn't find the cure for cancer. I didn't solve the Navier-Stokes equations. This wasn't momentous. It was pretty pathetically small, and yet I'm still really happy about it. ...one wonders if there's something wrong with me. I mean, besides SA.
Don't minimize this. Do you realize how important a simple smile really is? It probably made her day. It made yours. :boogie :boogie :boogie

·
Banned
177,223 Posts
A small step is better than no step at all. You gotta start somewhere and you did, congrats. :p

·
Buried at Sea
5,104 Posts
I love the feeling when that happens!

But it so rarely does, because I suck at life.

·
Registered
271 Posts
If i knew some girl was looking at me i'd probably just look in the other direction, i'm too shy and unassertive when it comes to stuff like that. Believe me if i did what you did i'd be happy too, hopefully next time i'll remember to give it a try ;)

·
4 + 1 = MOO
1,410 Posts
One wonders if there's something wrong with me. I mean, besides SA.
Like what? You did something that you thought you never could do.

I'd be ecstatic if I held a conversation that lasted more than 25 seconds.

·
Sea of clouds.
223 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I just wanted to say I really appreciate all of the encouragement. As far as not minimizing this... I agree. My therapist has been trying for the better part of a year on that front though, so it'll probably be a while more on that.

I guess progress is good though. But, again, thank you all for the encouragement and suggestions. 'Tis much appreciated.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts