Social Anxiety Support Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
165 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
"Learned Optimism" by Martin E.P. Seligman, Ph.D. It is a truly amazing book! It makes you take a second glance at the way you look at life and think about things, it teaches how to see things in a more optimistic life and how to get through rough times, it's really good!

·
Registered
165 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hi! Well, the book helped me (or is helping me) change my way of thinking. It explains how the way we think about things ultimately controls our behavior, and he explains how this has been proven by multiple experiments. For example, if I were to get up the courage to tell a joke to someone, and they didn't laugh, I used to think my goodness, I am incredibly not funny and should never attempt to tell a joke to anyone again. But now, with the help of the book, I think to myself "Hey, that guy didn't think my joke was funny. Maybe someone else will. It's not the end of the world". So basically, the book teaches to not blame everything on yourself and not look at failure in a permanent way, just as a minor setback. I really recommend it to anyone who has a negative way of thinking, because changing the way you think about things can really improve the way you feel and act!!

·
Registered
1,378 Posts
Sounds good. I am really pessimistic. When I'm down on something I'm just so negative about everything and pessismistic and think things will crash and burn and I will fail at everything LOL. My bf tells me all the time to stop being so pessistic. It's just my default, I guess.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts