Social Anxiety Support Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Today, as I conversed with my coworker about how many companion upgrades I we per year, I had a random thought that I was traveling with my fiance, his mother, and his sister, and the three of them took my upgrades and left me in coach. I ended up causing a disturbance on the flight and got arrested. I felt the anger, hurt, and embarrassment, as if it really occurred. After taking a moment to breathe and talk to my mother I felt guilty for having such a thought. I mean if I could give the three of them an opportunity to get an upgrade I would. I fly for work and have experienced a number of upgrade opportunities.

These thoughts are always lies and portray me in a negative way. I am a caring and thoughtful person. Nothing like these thoughts.

Does anyone every have a similar experience?

·
Registered
167 Posts
You have a good imagination, unfortunately it's being hijacked by anxiety and creating these intrusive thoughts for you. Do you do any compulsions after it?

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
You have a good imagination, unfortunately it's being hijacked by anxiety and creating these intrusive thoughts for you. Do you do any compulsions after it?
Yes, I tend to speak to myself out loud and ask myself why would you think that, why would you do that, why would you say that, OMG, or I'm sorry. It is embarrassing me because it has disturbed my coworkers before or they assume I am talking to them and will ask me what I said. Sometimes I get fidgety, nervous, and have to take a walk. Sometimes I will call my mom to talk about it or to get my mind off of it.

·
Registered
15 Posts
I understand perfectly what you're going through! Everytime I'm particularly anxious for whatever reason, those intrusive thoughts start to pop up and make me even more upset. The last intrusive thought I've had is whether I might be a lesbian even though I know I'm not. What-ifs I call them. As DefeatSAD stated, though, you're probably a creative person whose anxiety channels through intrusive thoughts. But these are just that: thoughts. They aren't actual events and don't define you as a person.

I have spoken a lot about this topic with my therapist and she gave me some tips to manage the thoughts, but the technique that I've found the most useful is retiring to some calm place where you can relax, and then proceed to observe the thought without judging yourself for having it, and observe the feelings associated with the thought as well in case they arise. Once you practice this enough, you'll find that the thoughts and feelings end up passing and going away, just like stormy clouds eventually clear up. I hope this helps!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts