Social Anxiety Support Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all

My doc prescribed Sertraline in January and I was too scared to take it because of the sides. I have some Klonopin that I take on "as needed" basis, but have no interest in taking that stuff everyday because I have read it is terribly addicting. Klonopin is the best thing I have ever used for my SA besides alcohol.

Here is my issue. I am being presented with a huge opportunity in my life. It is causing me great anxiety because I will be in front of millions of people. My SA is telling me to pass up on all this, but I know later in life I will be kicking myself. I am forcing myself to jump right in.

Should I start taking this Zoloft that my doc gave me in January? I was thinking of sticking with Klonopin, but I really don't want to take that stuff everyday. I take usually 2-3 pills a month of that stuff.

Any other suggestions?

Thanks everyone.

G

·
Banned
545 Posts
I've had positive effects from taking Sertraline. It doesn't eliminate my anxiety, but it changes how I feel about it. I don't anticipate anxiety anymore because I expect it will happen regardless. This change of attitude makes me feel better about myself because I have more awareness of what I can control.

Generally I feel much better about myself on Sertraline. I'm sticking with it for some more months just to give it a chance.

As for symptoms, I take my meds at night. I sleep through all the symptoms. The only noticeable symptoms I had were ringing sounds in my ears for a day or two when starting dosing, or when increasing the amount. That is all. I have not gained or lost weight due to sertraline use.

It's inexpensive (about $15 for 3 months from Kmart without insurance). It's worth a try if you are interested. The side effects are relatively subtle compared to some other SRRIs.

Then again, if you don't think you need it, then don't take it. :)

Of course I used to have severe anticipatory anxiety which would make me sweat and I could not control it. Thanks to sertraline I do not dwell on this issue, and ultimately I dont sweat near as much. Combined with benzodiazepines, my sweating is almost eliminated.

Sooo yeah.. I've had a good experience with it, it's helped me to really investigate my thought patterns and make changes 1 at a time.

I don't plan to be on it forever, but I'm at least going to give it some more months, possibly 1 whole year before I consider getting off of it.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the help.

Is the weight gain/loss with this drug a result of an increase/decrease in appetite or something else. My doc told me it had to do with the person feeling better, so they eat more and gain weight. If that is the case I'm not worried about weight gain.

I wonder if taking Klono every once in awhile would be alright while on Zoloft.

·
Geese
20,768 Posts
Yeah it has been great for me, it more or less eradicated the general anxious feelings I would have lingering around day to day enough for me to seek proper therapy which I could not have done before. It is not a miracle drug but none are, so if you combine it with proper therapies I think it can be extremely beneficial.

As for side effects, I have been lucky and only suffered from slight insomnia and tiredness during the first few weeks and now don't' suffer any that I know of.

·
Registered
544 Posts
When I was on it, I found it generally very good for my mood, it kept me more balanced which I believe helps with the anxiety. It didn't erradicate some of the more extreme symptoms though as it wasn't very sedating, well for me anyhow.

What dose did some of you start with? I started at 25mg when I was on it to minimise side-effects.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts