Social Anxiety Support Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Boring Human.
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've been a temp at my current job since January, and whenever I've asked my recruiter or my supervisor has asked corporate about me getting hired, there's never a firm answer. I feel like I'm being strung along and milked for all I'm worth. I was originally supposed to be there for just 4-6 weeks, but it's been over 6 months now.

For the past month or two, my health hasn't been that great. I wonder if it's more mental than anything else, since I do have major depressive disorder. It hasn't been much of a problem for me for several years, but lately it seems to be coming back. I'm not "sad" per se, but have trouble motivating myself even to get out of bed every morning. Ever since my cat died in early May, and with my grandfather now in hospice care, my dog being injured, and me having some (minor) eye problems, I've been pretty stressed out. I've never woken up so late to go to work before than I have in the past couple of weeks, and have stopped wearing makeup and making myself look nice to go to work (partially because of my eye issues, but also because I'm so incredibly tired). I also have only been going to the gym once a week or so, when I used to go three times a week. I've been working out for years and I've never been this negligent with my exercise program before.

I should also add that my department at work is tiny, and I feel like it's difficult for me to get just an hour or two off for doctor's appointments (or interviews, when I had been applying for jobs), plus I feel guilty as a temp for asking for time off. The job itself is not very demanding, but just working a 9-5 job is so draining.

I feel like I need a break from full-time work and should just quit, even if it's just a couple of weeks, not just because I've been feeling so tired and stressed, but also because I see no path forward at my job. The agency could get someone new to take my place right away. However, I'm hesitant to quit for the following reasons:

1. We're in our busy season now, and the other members of our already very small department would need to train someone brand new all over again during this busy time
2. I obviously wouldn't be making any money
3. I don't know when I'd be ready to get a new job, but when it is time to get one, companies may not consider someone who is not currently employed
4. Also, hardly any companies are hiring during the summer, supposing I'm able to go back to work after a few weeks
5. I do hope that staying at home wouldn't be counterproductive, since my house is loud, overcrowded, and no one has a job
6. I'd need to further defer my plans of moving out of my parents' house due to lack of stable income
7. I might be blacklisted by my agency or client company for job references or future work opportunities

On the other hand, here are some reasons why I want to quit:

1. I would get plenty of time to recuperate
2. No conflicts with appointments or job interviews (when I'm ready to start working again)
3. Hopefully they won't be too upset since my primary reason for quitting is due to health reasons
4. I don't have health insurance, so besides me not making any money while not working, quitting my job wouldn't make any difference
5. I can't move out of my parents' house now anyway, since I refuse to even consider it until I have a permanent job with health benefits
6. I hopefully could get a direct hire job when I am ready to reenter the workforce, or else I may go back to my agency for something new, even if it is part-time
7. I actually thought of quitting this same job last month due to seeing no path forward, but my health and life situation have just gotten worse since then
8. I could spend more time with my family, and help when I'm needed

If I do decide to quit, I suppose I could give up to a week's notice. Again, the agency can get someone new right away.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Hi,
I think you know what is best for you. Health is the most important thing. With good mental and physical health, you will be able to find a job that you want and like. I am facing similar dilemmas as you so I understand how draining it can be. God bless. :)

·
c'est moi
5,889 Posts
It's easier to get a job if you have a job. Also, considering that you are a temp., they should expect that you're looking for full time work (and if they're normal sorts, supportive).

Sorry that it is so stressful. You will make the correct decision for you, certainly.

·
SAS member
4,216 Posts
I don't know, its a personal decision, when you state the cons you give solid ones but when you state the pros you say like "well point 4 in cons does not matter much for this or that", so, your cons are valid but you have good (or at least your own) arguments to refute them, and issue 1 in the "cons" list should not be even there, what do you care if they have to train someone new in a busy season? You are not going to work there anymore and you do not owe them anything.

·
Boring Human.
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
OK, I sent my recruiter an email last night and really hope she'll answer today. If not, I'll call her around my lunch break. I don't plan to say anything to my department until towards the end of the work day, but I'd like a specific date that someone else can start, if there is one yet.

Sent from my LG-D850 using Tapatalk

1 - 6 of 6 Posts