Social Anxiety Support Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Cool story, bro!
986 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm seriously considering going to college because I can't find a job at all and I need something to do with my spare time. Apart of me likes not having to leave the house unless I want to but I really need to just get over that and force myself into action. The good thing is I will be getting paid to go to school since I was in the Army, so they'll give me 1,333 per month. I figure tuition/books/everything else would only amount to 4-5,000 a year at a local community type college so that leaves me with quite a bit of extra cash. What are the costs for people here that go to community schools?

My main concern is with things like oral reports and having to participate in discussions...is that sort of stuff required in school? I know for a fact that I would refuse to do anything like that. In order for me to receive the money from the military I have to keep a 2.0 average (sounds easy enough) but I don't want professors flunking me because I refused to do presentations or anything of that nature. Any insight on that aspect?

·
Suit up!
390 Posts
For oral reports and participation I think that all depends on what type of college you attend and especially what type of major you're in. At a big college, a lot of classes are AT LEAST 100 people so teachers have no time to bother getting to know your name let alone assigning oral reports. I think I've only done one presentation in college and it was a group project during summer school when I had a small class. I'm mostly in science and math classes though so I'm sure the type of major you choose is a big factor. I'm not really sure how small the classes are at community colleges though...

·
Registered
76 Posts
Was being in the Army really difficult with anxiety?

I really need to do something with my life but am scared ****less about the situations i will face if i join the military.

·
Cool story, bro!
986 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Was being in the Army really difficult with anxiety?

I really need to do something with my life but am scared ****less about the situations i will face if i join the military.
Yes, it was very difficult. I was kicked out for Avoidant Personality disorder because I would refuse to do things when I got anxious.

To everyone else thanks for the insight. It's in my mind that I'm going to do it so I think I'll follow through. If it comes down to it I'll just skip the days I know a presentation is due :)

·
Banned
837 Posts
My main concern is with things like oral reports and having to participate in discussions...is that sort of stuff required in school?
It mostly depends on what type of degree you decide to pursue. The more scientific or technical your major is, the less you'll have to deal with oral reports, but probably a lot more with in-class teamwork.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts