Social Anxiety Support Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
1,676 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
That's really weird, isn't it? Sometimes I find myself doing it. I was just wondering if I was alone on this. If I am, it's okay. I already know I'm insane so it won't be a shock or anything. :lol

·
Registered
1,676 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Lol, thanks for your reassurance, colonel.

Let me be clearer, I'm hoping to draw some more people in: very often (like most people with SA) I think about what other people are thinking about me. So when I think about what they're thinking about me, I'll say to myself (often aloud, if I'm alone): "oh, he's not doing so well" for example. So it makes a little more sense if you imagine someone else saying it. But I'm obsessive about it. I find myself doing it all the time and when I'm alone I say it aloud. It almost to the point where it makes up the majority of my inner dialogue, especially if I am alone. So if anyone saw me on camera, they would likely think I was out of mind (and maybe rightfully so).

Some people have got to do that, right? It seems almost natural to me. Maybe it is a way of distancing myself from my emotions, or maybe it is just a compulsion, or maybe I am just nuts.

I realize even if other people do this, it's not the sort of thing most people would want to admit. So I'm not exactly expecting many replies.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Hey Kev,

I do this one all the time. Albeit just a little bit differently. Here how: When I'm alone, in my mind, I start seeing myself as someone would see me if they were watching me on TV. It becomes almost like my life is sitcom and I'm being watched by the world, cept the difference is this: I am in the heads of everyone watching me. So if I trip while walking in a mall, I dont feel embarrased because I tripped, I feel embarassed because I'm thinking of myself as an idiot like all the people who must have just seen me.

I know it's crazy (and might not make sense), but it's how my mind operates. It's like I have no concept of myself, just the opinions of everyone around me. Weird, yes, but I figured I should share.

·
Registered
128 Posts
i must say i really only think this way if i've just read a book, then i'll think like this for a couple days or so, it's really verrrrrrrrrrry dorky. It'll be like my own little narrative such as: "As she brushed the lipgloss on her lips, she looked in the mirror for the umpteenth time sweeping a strand out of her eye. She was depressed that she had to go to work for 8 hours that day knowing it was going to be a busy day. She sighed, took out her keys, and started her car..." so on and so forth....lol.

·
Registered
558 Posts
blah8705 said:
i must say i really only think this way if i've just read a book, then i'll think like this for a couple days or so, it's really verrrrrrrrrrry dorky. It'll be like my own little narrative such as: "As she brushed the lipgloss on her lips, she looked in the mirror for the umpteenth time sweeping a strand out of her eye. She was depressed that she had to go to work for 8 hours that day knowing it was going to be a busy day. She sighed, took out her keys, and started her car..." so on and so forth....lol.
Wow, this exact thing happens to me too! I thought I was weird for doing this, it's so nice to know it happens to someone else too. At least we might be good at writing because of this :lol

·
Registered
5 Posts
I do this, too. I think people say things about me and I imagine of the things they might say in 3rd person, "like, wow she's crazy" or something along those lines and I do this quite frequently..Im so hard on myself, but I cant help it..I just do it.

·
Registered
105 Posts
I read this thread before, and thought, "This is silly. I don't do this." But since reading it, I've caught myself thinking this way. I suspect I've been doing it all along and just hadn't noticed. :um

·
Back again ...
3,727 Posts
Happens to me too. Somewhat like kennyrich described.

·
Registered
1,853 Posts
colonelpoop said:
You're definitely alone on this one.
Good call...just for future reference, just because you don't do something, doesn't mean no one else does it.

And to the OP...I do it sometimes myself.

·
Registered
738 Posts
Yeah, I do it fairly often. I used to worry I was becoming schizophrenic, because I thought only cartoon characters thought in third person (in cloud-shaped thought baloons). I worried about a lot of stupid crap back then.

·
Registered
1,676 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Man, I thought I was right. I knew I wasn't alone. :lol

People are crazy.

·
Registered
135 Posts
I do do that thing, where I think of myself as some book character, like blah said . Its really stupid. I also hold conversations in my head where i 'play' the part of both me and another person... crazy
But not too often :D

·
Registered
815 Posts
I refer to myself as "we" a lot in my head. I'm not sure why. Sometimes I'll think, "we better pick up this mess" when I'm just reffering to myself. I have been doing this all my life and a few years ago I noticed it and wondered who in the world "we" was exactly. I don't have multiple personalities or anything :um

·
Registered
950 Posts
I don't but it sounds more like a habit then cazyness

·
subtastic
7,692 Posts
When I was a kid I couldn't stop narrating my life. As I've gotten older, I don't have so much of that nonstop "chatter" in my head anymore.

·
Registered
1 Posts
i feel this way too, differently however. I will assess whats going on in my life, ill point it out to myself then allow it to influence my choices. i can do this in a matter of moments or ponder at length for several hours, no real set time. this is very useful as i find it, but i do have Social Anxiety which can take over my thinking quality, bias it, then turn my life and mentality upside down. i do have an anger management counselor and in our first session i brought this up and we've been talking about it for several months now. i have the AM for the fact that i DO over-assess my situation and it drives me crazy to think whats going on, ill think "why am i in this" "this is going to go well, he cant do anything to me" "what if he has a weapon" etc. this makes me think something is wrong with me so i lash out to get the thoughts out of my head. but the third person mentality can help me in certain situations, for example i never need to study for exams because its like i have 2 memories. or if i need to make a decision with my girlfriend who is the most important person in my life, i can think things over without becoming obsessive, aggressive, or compulsive. either way im thankful and hate it so im kinda stuck with it and makes me feel like i dont belong anywhere. anyone feel this way?

1 - 20 of 21 Posts