Social Anxiety Support Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Free Spirit
71 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I know they can be addictive for some, but just based on the research I've done, it seems like benzos like Xanax, klonopin, or ativan might have less side effects than the ssri's? I am a young guy, kind of in my prime, and I suffer from anxiety when going to job interviews, social situations, or a big-time shopping trip. I'm not depressed, and when I'm on my own time, my anxiety is usually manageable although it is always present. Basically I feel I know my body really well, and I feel I need something with a pretty short half-life that I could take the morning of a stressful day, to get me through it, while not lingering in my body and messing up my sleep cycle. I have also heard horror stories of the ssri's ruining guys' sex lives. I certainly don't want that! So I am thinking, provided that I could keep the dosage low and manage it, maybe the benzos would be a better fit for me than the ssri's? Hope someone can give me some insight, thanks! And btw, this is such an amazing, informative forum, I have learned so much here! ;)

·
Registered
2,197 Posts
Yeah klonopin or Xanax are great for anxiety. I've never liked the SSRIs myself so going with a therapeutic dose of a benzodiazepine that works for you would probably be a better idea. Especially if your not depressed.

·
Registered
2,810 Posts
I know they can be addictive for some, but just based on the research I've done, it seems like benzos like Xanax, klonopin, or ativan might have less side effects than the ssri's?
I disagree with. The advantage od benzos is not a better side effect profile, just faster and arguably more effective treatment response particularly over the short-term versus SSRIs.

·
Lateralus
2,614 Posts
I know they can be addictive for some, but just based on the research I've done, it seems like benzos like Xanax, klonopin, or ativan might have less side effects than the ssri's? I am a young guy, kind of in my prime, and I suffer from anxiety when going to job interviews, social situations, or a big-time shopping trip. I'm not depressed, and when I'm on my own time, my anxiety is usually manageable although it is always present. Basically I feel I know my body really well, and I feel I need something with a pretty short half-life that I could take the morning of a stressful day, to get me through it, while not lingering in my body and messing up my sleep cycle. I have also heard horror stories of the ssri's ruining guys' sex lives. I certainly don't want that! So I am thinking, provided that I could keep the dosage low and manage it, maybe the benzos would be a better fit for me than the ssri's? Hope someone can give me some insight, thanks! And btw, this is such an amazing, informative forum, I have learned so much here! ;)
The vast, vast, VAST majority of people who get addicted to/abuse benzos have a prior history of drug/alcohol abuse or an addictive personality. A lot of these folks didn't even have a legitimate medical claim when they initially went on benzos, they sought them out for recreational usage. Why anyone would want to use benzos recreationally is beyond me. I've never found them particuarly exciting in any way. More on that later when I have time to further my post.

I tend to think their anxiolytic effect, at least for ME, is overrated. I've only been on two benzos - Ativan and Klonopin. Ativan made me a little drowsy at higher doses and that was it. Klonopin has much more kick, but I still feel more tired rather than less anxious. I haven't tried any other benzo.

I haven't had benzo withdrawal yet because I remain on them with no end in sight. Still, any psychiatrist worth his salt will be able to effectively ween you off over a period of time taking things into account. Fortunately I have a smart and experienced pdoc who knows what he's doing. When I do finally come off the benzos I'm sure he'll have me coming off properly. Withdrawal might still suck but then again, SNRI withdrawal sucks too and yet no one calls for those meds' heads. SSRI withdrawal can be unpleasant as well.

Don't be afraid of benzos. They are a perfectly legitimate class of medication and the concerns with them are overblown/taken out of context.

·
Registered
1,889 Posts
I went from 1mg of klonopin a day down to .25mg after many years of being on 1mg. If you dont abuse it and keep your dose low it isnt all too hard to reduce your dose in the future in the case you want to taper.

I find ssri withdrawals to be more brutal.

·
Free Spirit
71 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I went from 1mg of klonopin a day down to .25mg after many years of being on 1mg. If you dont abuse it and keep your dose low it isnt all too hard to reduce your dose in the future in the case you want to taper.

I find ssri withdrawals to be more brutal.
Here's the thing..I spoke to several phamacists about this and they said many times today it's up to the doctor but lots of doctors are just prescribing ssri's instead of benzos because they assume everyone will abuse them or get hooked. Based on the research I've done, benzos are DEFINiTELY not to be taken lightly, but for someone with anxiety & NO depression, might a low-dose benzo be more beneficial than an ssri loaded with awful side effects? I mean, as a man, people talk about zoloft, paxil, prozac, basically causing chemical castration & destroying a guy's sex drive..It sounds so scary. So I'm just wanting to make an informed choice if I do go on anxiety meds. I don't have am addictive personality. I smoked for years but I quit cold turkey. I guess it's up to the doc, but as a 28 year old man, the sexual side effects of ssri's scare the hell out of me much more than any benzo!

·
Registered
1,889 Posts
Im not fond of doctors prescribing ssri for moderate anxiety for first line treatment especially if there is no depression involved. If your anxiety is severe then an ssri may (or may not) be useful, but I think a benzo should be prescribed along with ssri for severe cases of anxiety. Doctors will give you all that crap aboit benzos being addictive, yet they fail to mention ssris are hell to get off of. Some people stay on them just because they cant handle quitting. It may as well be addictive

1 - 7 of 7 Posts