Social Anxiety Support Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
311 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does anyone everthink about past things they have said and done and been embarassed by them? I don't really know how to explain it. But sometimes I think about things from long ago, that I didn't find embarrassing then, but now I just feel like an idiot for doing it. It happens all the time, so not only am I plagued by negativity in social situations, but now I have to feel like an idiot when I'm alone too. It's tough.

Anyone else have problems like this, if anything I said makes sense?

It also happens with posts on internet boards...I'll look back and be like "that made me sound like an idiot". I don't know...

·
Registered
1,835 Posts
I don't do that with the internet, but I do it with decisions I've made. I've done some pretty stupid and idiotic things in my life. I tend to look back on the more serious decisions, and some of them haunt me. I don't let it take over my life, but I definitely know what you mean. :hug

·
Registered
994 Posts
Yep, def know what you mean, sometimes I want to question if stupidity can be a secondary;-)))) illness;-D or frustration;-)
We all make mistakes.......We can't change what we have done, what we wish we would have done differently, but we can learn.......Find out why a certain aspect bothers you.........Then........Put it away, try not to think about it;-) chances are, we're the only ones thinking about "It."

·
Registered
546 Posts
I do that, too. Sometimes I will say something and realize later that it could possibly be taken the wrong way, and that I might have hurt someone's feelings. I beat myself up over things like that. I also sometimes think back to something I said and think that it sounded stupid, but it's easier for me to let those things go than it is for me to let go of the thought that I offended someone.

·
Registered
7 Posts
yeah you have to realize that the past is done, gone, over and your have to learn to move forward and live in the present moment. Whatever you have to do, have a funeral for all those bad experiences and put them to rest forever, and only look back to be inspired by the great and positive things that have impacted you. The bad in your past doesn't define you, it is who you are now and who your are going to be that matters and that is something that you have control over not your past.

·
Registered
1,903 Posts
YES! Every day, I think about dumb things I said. They had such a minimal impact on my life in general, but I can't get over the feelings I'd had right after I said it.
These are the most recurring thoughts that keep me from getting to sleep, at night. Well, that and wondering what dumb thing I'll say, next.
Sigh.

xoxo
Maggi

·
Registered
1,340 Posts
I always think about sporadic things from the past that i should have forgotten.

·
Registered
772 Posts
yes i do. for some reason, all my embarrassing moments in the past gets vividly stored in my permanent memory. I recollect them constantly to make myself even worse.

·
Registered
170 Posts
After a night with friends or whatnot, I often find myself analyzing alot of things that I said or did and sometimes they will bother me for days, weeks or even months. Even if its something that really doesnt need to be made such a big deal. Things that happened year ago don't really bother me anymore though.

·
Registered
154,233 Posts
I also have this problem. A lot of the times, I would say it to seem or sound impressive. Some of the events still hanut me, but I just rememeber that it was a long time ago and that no one would probably remember what happened anyway.

·
Registered
1,246 Posts
millenniumman75 said:
I also have this problem. A lot of the times, I would say it to seem or sound impressive. Some of the events still hanut me, but I just rememeber that it was a long time ago and that no one would probably remember what happened anyway.
haha, so true. Im writing a message board post, or laying up late at night thinking about tiny events, or sentences even, from like over 3 years ago. Things that were long forgotten by everyone, except for me...still obsessing over it all this time later. I wanna tell myself to lighten up.

·
Registered
845 Posts
Ive done/said so many embarassing things in the past that its hard for me to just forget about them because they were so humiliating to forget! :hide

·
Registered
33 Posts
Yep yep, me too. And there seems to be little time limit. Things from LONG ago can pop into the head, and cause anxiety, anger, sadness whatever. Strange deal.
As I get older it has seemed to lessen though, but it still is there.

·
Registered
7 Posts
It happens to me all the time and I try to shake the thought out of my head or yell at myself and if I'm in front of people I look like even more of an idiot. I can't control it and it bugs me the most (even all the other crap I have problems with doesn't compare). I've been told that if you give yourself a designated time of day and a designated amount of time (like 15 min.) to let it just flow it's supposed to alleviate some of it. Sometimes it works. You might want to try it for a few weeks and see if it helps you.

·
Registered
572 Posts
Oh yeah, all the time. I'm still feeling embarrassed about things I said or did when I was twelve years old. I feel like no one in the world could have as many embarrassments to their credit as I do, but that can't be true. Most people just don't dwell on things the way I do.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts