Social Anxiety Support Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
127 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm 21. Never had a job before. Recently I got one as a cart pusher. Been working there for 2 or 3 weeks. The job isn't bad; I kind of like it. I like the exercise and freedom. I don't like the pressure of maintaining the bays during peak hours but tbh I don't mind it that much because there's nothing more I can do if I try my best at it.

What is stressful is when I'm off work. I can't stop thinking about the job. I have generalized anxiety. When I'm off work, all I think is that in xxx days or hours, I'll be working again. It's as if I can never relax. Time doesn't become significant. I may have so called "8 hours" to do stuff before I go to bed, but it just seems so little.... then I have work the next morning. It feels like the job has consumed my life.

I think what bothers me about quitting is that I can't adapt to the job and its stress. What about the next job I get? Will it be the same? Probably..? Apparently this is life, I should man up and bite the bullet. Those are my thoughts.

Today I skipped work without even calling. I feel very guilty for not calling but this being a SAS forum I hope some can understand. On my next shift I'm considering if I should go or not. If I don't go, I'll probably never go again.

Regarding cash, it's not important to me at the current moment. I don't have bills.

I don't know.... the answer seems pretty clear but I just don't want to go to work. Someone knock some sense into me. Thank you.

·
Registered
86 Posts
i hear you. ive been there b4. had a full time. monday through friday. left because of other reasons though. i couldnt stand being there anymore. i left and went back to an old part time place. im alot happier now. but i still get the same feelings even tho i only work half the hours i used to. doesnt sound like you should leave tho yet. imo from wat youve said so far. idk only if you feel you have to. :)

·
Registered
18,888 Posts
If you skipped it without even calling in, you may not have a job to go back to anyway.

But..

The job isn't bad; I kind of like it. I like the exercise and freedom.
Sounds like you answered your own question. And I would echo what's already been said: You may not need cash now, but it's always good to save, and this is the best time to do it -- when you have no bills to pay.

How 'consuming' is the job on your off-time? It's fairly normal not to particularly enjoy having a job, but if it's seriously affecting you, the culprit may be anticipatory anxiety (read up on Panic Disorder and Avoidant Personality Disorder). If this is the case, you should see a doctor about it.

Definitely stick with the job if it is at all possible, though.

·
alien love gardener
3,526 Posts
I think you should go back, and perhaps you could get a medical certificate from a doctor (for the anxiety but it doesn't need to say that you have anxiety) if you need to explain that you weren't able to come to work.
If you don't end up going back you could think about part-time work. I get the same thing with full-time work and just can't handle it but part-time work is great for me.

·
electric
6,777 Posts
I want a job that doesn't consume my life too! That would be sweet! I get to the weekend and have to MAKE myself not go in and just relax.

Dude, if you don't need the money, just go part time. Think about how many hours you naturally want to work (and I think daylight makes people naturally want to be productive to some end) and try to get those hours there or somewhere else. You have your whole life to work hard because you DO need the money (or are maybe trying to get somewhere with your career). If you feel lazy about it, again, think about what your real goals are. I don't even have any goals. I just work hard because I want to feel worthwhile to someone. I want to serve or be good for something. Somehow I wouldn't consider this mentally healthy...

·
Registered
36 Posts
I'm in the same situation with wanting to quit my job and all, but my reasons are a bit different -- harassment in the workplace has left me extra vulnerable. I called in for the first time yesterday because of panic attacks.

Anyways, as bad as it is, I always say: have something else lined up first. Don't just quit. At least try to hold off for six months, as it looks better on future resumes -- plus, as somebody else already said, now is the time to start saving and putting money into your savings account for anything that may come up in the future.

Trust me, I know how hard it is. I have struggled countless times even just to complete a short 4 or 5-hour shift, but I pulled through. I think you can, too. You have the freedom and don't have to do much interaction, so that should be a good start.

·
Registered
22 Posts
I understand where you're coming from. I work retail, hated it since day one. I also have to deal with work related anxiety.
It's only been 2 or 3 weeks so it's a bit early to quit. Go in to work, wait it out a bit and apply to a bunch of new jobs. If you find a new job, then you can get out of this one. Maybe ask about switching departments. I know you hate it, but you need to consider your options first.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts