Social Anxiety Support Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
152 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
You're only supposed to focus on the task at hand, kinda like living in the now. It seems to help a bit and it takes some practice and patience to do, but it does stop the negative thoughts because there aren't any thoughts to begin with. But won't it stop happy thoughts as well? Isn't it natural to have a thought when you see or hear something? Is this how non-sa people behave naturally? Im experimenting with this as we speak. I just don't wanna turn into a zombie.

·
Banned
320 Posts
You're not "supposed" to do anything. Just be present, meaning be mindful of what is going on around you. Thoughts and feelings will arise regardless of what happens. You won't become a zombie unless a zombie bites you.

·
Registered
1,049 Posts
Your mind is still there, you just become less apprehensive and so your thoughts don't get stuck inside your head like a normal introvert.
I've tried practicing this lately. Its worked for a while but the last week has been hard I can't stop daydreaming.

When you say 'happy thoughts' I assume you mean fantasizing? That isn't always good to do, I know it. It doesn't make you any happier in real life, but rather distracts you and is just a form of avoidance.

·
Registered
152 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
You're not "supposed" to do anything. Just be present, meaning be mindful of what is going on around you. Thoughts and feelings will arise regardless of what happens. You won't become a zombie unless a zombie bites you.
Yeah but sometimes the thoughts that arise are negative. For example if im walking and I see people watching me i'll become self conscious. But if I focus on nothing then I won't even pay attention to the people.

Your mind is still there, you just become less apprehensive and so your thoughts don't get stuck inside your head like a normal introvert.
I've tried practicing this lately. Its worked for a while but the last week has been hard I can't stop daydreaming.

When you say 'happy thoughts' I assume you mean fantasizing? That isn't always good to do, I know it. It doesn't make you any happier in real life, but rather distracts you and is just a form of avoidance.
I mean happy thoughts as in seeing kids play and it bringing a smile to your face. Yea I fantasize as well, but mainly when im trying to go to bed.

·
Registered
283 Posts
I think you are overthinking this. Be yourself, think however you naturally do. Try not to stress or dwell on the past or future, but enjoy the present. If a negative thought arises, tell yourself something positive and correct the negative thought. For example, if you are walking in the park, notice people looking at you, and become self conscious, tell yourself something positive such as "I am a good-hearted, friendly and enjoyable person. There is no reason to be nervous." Try smiling at them and they will probably smile back. Even if it's a cheesy half-smile, or saying hello.

Pretending other people do not exist, or not recognizing their presence, will mean that you continue to live in an isolated world. That doesn't solve the problem.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts