Social Anxiety Support Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
1,277 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I called a gym to ask how much they are a month. I didn't get an answer but she told me to come in and check it out and made an appointment with me.

·
Spectacular Member
21,089 Posts
I would read reviews online regarding any sneaky practices that gym has regarding its membership. Some gyms are basically criminal organizations, that endlessly bill your credit card with fraudulent charges. I've even heard of gym memberships that are not allowed to be canceled, as part of the contract you sign unless you move.

I personally just went with the YMCA so I wouldn't have to deal with that baloney.

·
Registered
152 Posts
To add to the posts above me,DO NOT LET THEM ENTICE YOU TO A CONTRACT, unless you have lots of money to burn. I was once a victim of that. But now i go to a college gym which is cheap and no contract. If i where you, just accept the tour of the gym and if you like it, PAY IN CASH. Do not give them your credit/debit info.

·
Registered
1,277 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I'm probably going. I also hope they don't put me in weird social situations like put me in front of class and introduce me.

·
Registered
1,277 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Went in. Only 90 a month. Not too bad right? They set me up with a personal training session which I think might have been a lead in to membership. They wanted me to do paperwork there but I had nothing. They didn't accept cash. So.. I might join.

·
Registered
1,277 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I don't think so. This is one of those gyms that have everything although I can't do a few things with my leg problems. I'm not sure how much I'll go and If I feel comfortable there. All those fit people. This one personal trainer walked into the office and she was very hot and fit. I wonder if that's who they booked me with.

·
Power Trip
1,016 Posts
I pay about $65 a month and that even seems a bit high to be honest, though the gym I go to is good. I had to do a one year contract which I don't think was actually explained outright to me but was hidden away in the tiny terms and conditions. Commercial gyms are some of the most devious establishments around so always read your fineprint and do your research before signing anything and if it looks suspicious, walk away. Honestly, you could probably find a decent place for a lot less than $90 a month.

·
Recovery/"Over it"
3,391 Posts
90 a month!!! Wow!

·
Registered
261 Posts
Only 90 a month. Not too bad right?
90?!?
90 what, US dollars or south African shillings??

Have you considered just buying $90 worth of exercise equipment every month instead? Before too long you'll have your own gym that you can use for free for the rest of your life. Weights are just chunks of metal that will last longer than you will.

·
Banned
4,372 Posts
whelp.. let's just sum this up..

you asked us if you were being "led into a gym membership"

yes

You went in anyway without doing any research, even though you were advised to do so.. now, you ask if $90 a month a good price?

NO..

Then after you've gave them your credit information, as well as paid an outlandish amount of money - yes, you did - repeat: Paid an outlandish amount of money for the use of their facility without shopping around?

you then justify your actions by saying: "Well, it's cheaper than a couple of gyms..

Well, enjoy your brand new gym, because you've just paid them $90.00 w/o tax - which comes out to just about $100.00 a month anyway.. like the other 2 gyms..

that's really smart..

hell, you could have just gone to the other 2 gyms.

·
Banned
4,372 Posts
$90.00+ a month is too much to pay for a gym, unless it's a country club, including, free drinks, smoothies, and a massage parlor with gorgeous masseuses to rub you down after a tough work out.

The going rate for "everything" is about $65 - 75.00. a month.

I paid $75.00 a month to work out in a celebrity gym.. not that i wanted to, but it was the only decent gym in Mexico.

if you're here in the U.S., you have a lot more facilities to choose from than i do.

I hope they don't mess up if you decide to go elsewhere. that's the stickler with many gyms. (which is why i paid cash every month in Mexico)..

·
Registered
55 Posts
Most gyms don't let you know over the phone because it's obviously a sales thing. You're more apt to sign up if you're in the gym than just getting told the prices over the phone because they think they'll be able to persuade you more when you're there. I'd check it out if you can't find the prices online anywhere, but if the price they tell you is too much or whatever just tell them thank you and leave. That's what I did when I was looking for a gym!

·
Registered
1,277 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I'm supposed to have an appointment to sign up and have a personal training session. Would it be right to call in and cancel a few hours before? I'm gonna say that I need to talk to my doctor. BTW, it's cheaper than the other gym like it.

·
Doing my own thing
2,175 Posts
I'm supposed to have an appointment to sign up and have a personal training session. Would it be right to call in and cancel a few hours before? I'm gonna say that I need to talk to my doctor. BTW, it's cheaper than the other gym like it.
Like someone else said, just buy your own equipment for that kind of dough. Gyms are a waste of money anyways.

·
Banned
8,418 Posts
I've been lucky

Fat when ending school because taking prednisolone steroids
probably why no girlfriend for a bit
Only seriously into exercise when in jail
out of there I had to follow it
and sticking to local campus club. So many town gyms are not getting my attention. choose carefully.

Good to be around students there and there are old ones like me.

Running's good for me.
I want a swimming pool. My best thing at school. Maybe a bit limp or girly?

1 - 20 of 26 Posts