Social Anxiety Support Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
999 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ive only been in it for 2 months now. Its doing data entry and creating catalogues, its a small office with 4 sales guys.

The whole time they have talked down on me, non stop - a few times one has said "you should go on beauty and the geek"- obvious a way of calling me a nerd without actually saying it. All 3 sorta "play around" but its all to me - they all sorta talk to eachother normally but just talk to me like I'm nothing.

But today was the turning point, one guy said "Do you go home each day and cry after work?" in a "joking" manner, and I said why (I knew why he was saying it) and he said "because of the situation" (obviously referring to him and the others annoying me each day), The fact that he even refers to it as a situation makes it worse and I doubt it will stop.

Sucks since I haven't had a job in a while :(

·
Registered
55 Posts
If you want me to, i can hang round with you, if I only knew, thats what you're into.

·
Registered
149 Posts
Be careful because what they doing is mental abuse, and it can leave deep lasting pain.

Remember that you cannot change the way they behave,
the way they behave is like a 8 years old kid?
the fault is not on you remember,
and you have a choice always- which is,
1) to take whatever they say serious, or
2) to take whatever they say rubbish.

I will treat them as a rubbish because of the way they behave.

·
Registered
104 Posts
They sound like a-holes. I would definitely call this bullying. Three against one is always going to be hard. I think it would suck if you had to quit though. Any chance of you being able to sit in another office away from them?

·
Registered
138 Posts
Don't let small minded people make you quit your job. Try to find a way to ignore them. It's really sad how cruel so called "ADULTS" can be. Try to stay strong.

·
Registered
9 Posts
I'm dealing with the same thing at my workplace. They asked me how I could stand being here, and wouldn't I rather quit. I'm sick of being harassed for nothing. A**holes.

·
Registered
111 Posts
I am so sorry that is happening. They are mean people. If you are not at a high conscious level, it is best to quit the job for your well-being.

·
Registered
460 Posts
That's horrible. I'm sorry you have to work with people like that. If you can't transfer to another department and are seriously thinking of quitting the job i would jokingly say something like "yea, I cry, but not as much as your mom after I (insert verb of choice) her. I know it's not the most mature response but like them you could just be "playing around". If the guy gets mad, tell him you were joking. Not to be so sensitive. If one of them says that's not cool, point out that they "joke" around with you all the time.

I don't know why but a) i think men like to test each other esp. if there's a bored a-hole in the group b) I hate this type of sht. I'm female btw the bullying I've experienced is more subtle, but just as hurtful...

·
Registered
370 Posts
They are ****ing *** holes by the sound of it so don't care what they think for one second. If u can complain about them for bullying, do so. Tbh if that was me I probably would have smacked him right in his ****ty face if he said that to me although that would probably get you sacked. Hulk, don't put up with any **** from them at all, I'm telling you.

·
Registered
450 Posts
Get an NRA coffee mug and start muttering to yourself, maybe they will leave you alone.

·
Registered
16 Posts
It sounds like classic verbal abuse. If it happened to me, I would report it to an HR manager. However, I would be careful to keep track of such comments and even record it if I had the capacity.

If that is not a feasible option, then I would recognize that these are very pathetic people. Anyone who feels better by putting someone else down is pathetic. Happy people don't do this kind of stuff. Happy people don't make other people miserable (unless they are socio-paths).

I do feel for you because I have been in similar situations. It seems as if most groups (at home, work, or school) require someone to be the scapegoat. At this moment in my life, I don't know what I would do. Probably write everything they said down for the sake of posterity.

Another option is to reframe the situation: you are there to do a job and get paid. **** the rest.

I have quit several good jobs in my life because of such conditions. Looking back, I do wish I had stuck through them on the basis of principle.

Ive only been in it for 2 months now. Its doing data entry and creating catalogues, its a small office with 4 sales guys.

The whole time they have talked down on me, non stop - a few times one has said "you should go on beauty and the geek"- obvious a way of calling me a nerd without actually saying it. All 3 sorta "play around" but its all to me - they all sorta talk to eachother normally but just talk to me like I'm nothing.

But today was the turning point, one guy said "Do you go home each day and cry after work?" in a "joking" manner, and I said why (I knew why he was saying it) and he said "because of the situation" (obviously referring to him and the others annoying me each day), The fact that he even refers to it as a situation makes it worse and I doubt it will stop.

Sucks since I haven't had a job in a while :(

·
Registered
999 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Yeh its sorta killing me, I hate medication but decided to take some last night before a day of work and the next day I felt like crap, medication just doesn't work well with me but I was feeling desperate. I really don't want to quit because I have been out of work for ages and I'm sure I would be put in the same situation again if I quit.

Also, its a small office so the boss can hear everything being said, in my first week he actually approached one of the main guys annoying me and said "can you try and leave him alone" (I was wearing my mp3 player and he didn't think I could hear, but he said it exactly when one song ended). I have tried to ignore them with my mp3 player, but one of the guys pulls an earphone out when he walks passed nearly each time, its caused me anxiety when anyone walks behind me.

It's annoying the boss can hear this all yet doesn't really do a thing :(

·
FAKE
1,117 Posts
I have tried to ignore them with my mp3 player, but one of the guys pulls an earphone out when he walks passed nearly each time, its caused me anxiety when anyone walks behind me.
haha wow, it's insane that people like this exist into adulthood... they seem like ever bully from an 80s teen movie. you should call them on that, be like, "ay yo, you fools are like some 80s teen movie bullies! you are caricatures!"

·
Its dawn here
6,082 Posts
whay dnt u reply him back..i would have done it,i i had been u i would have replied him the Way he deserves n learns a good lesson in a polite manner – I think u do feel tha same u..do u?? or why dnt u take care of ur work better then keeping an eye on me!!

dnt take him seriously..there a million of people who can pull u down ..

·
Registered
8 Posts
One thing that you should remember is that it's not about you it's about them. They would act that way no matter where who they worked with. I had 2 people where I worked who were very mean to me and so often I would go into the bathroom and cry and come back out and carry on. Three years have gone by, I still have my moments but it has gotten alot better. Things could be a lot worse, you could be one of them. Be proud of who you are and try to let it slide off your back. Take care!!!

1 - 20 of 22 Posts