Social Anxiety Support Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all,
I have never really tried to treat my SA issues before and wanted to get opinions on how to take the steps in dealing with it. As far as my issues go, I have problems feeling comfortable in groups, such as meetings for example, and in meetings I feel people are looking at me and judging me. I also have problems feeling comfortable enough to talk in meetings also. Just apprehensive. It is mainly in groups. I can talk with people fine in small groups or in a casual situation, but in a formal meetng, I feel panicy. I just feel that SA is holding me back in a lot of ways. It gets tiring feeling the anxiety in social situations. I also hate saying hello and goodbye to people for some reason. Especially when I don't know if I should hug or not. I would say my childhood has a big reason for my issues. I was left at home at a very young age alone alot and had to take care of myself and had no relatives around. I have no problem going to a psychiatrist or anything. I just wanted to get some input from you guys.
Thanks.
p.s. Have any of you seen that part in Donnie Darko when Donnie is talking to his shrink and she says "How did you feel being denied these Hungry Hungry Hippos?" Hilarious.
Have a good week everyone.

·
Registered
375 Posts
I'm kind of in the same position as you are, because I'm just recently realizing what social anxiety is. I always knew that I had major problems with speaking up or being around a lot of people, but I didn't know there was a name for it. I have been coming here for support, and also scheduled an appointment with a therapist. I also got a beta blocker for a couple of public speaking things I have to do coming up. That's cool you want to take some action, too! I'd say seeing a therapist couldn't hurt..

·
Registered
336 Posts
It's hard to know which is best. As you can cope with some social situations you could try looking for group therapy e.g. SA group that practises situations. You could try toastmasters, people have used on this site. It looks fairly formal e.g. public speaking.
There are computer CBT programmes and books available.
I'm sure a therapist would guide you through the feelings etc. and how to overcome them. You'd probably have more success with someone to motivate you and guide you through any problems where you might want to give up.

·
Banned
497 Posts
i find that the best thing to do is combine self help with CERTAIN of therpay.

i think the best things to do is have a couple of sessions with an nlp practionaire and then move onto a cbt therpaist.

and at the same time use self help such as working through , yourself , gillian butlers overcoming sa and shyness book , listening to thinkrightnow everyday , using a hypnosis cd, and taking action to face your fears

i find that counsellors and psychiatrists etc.. are useless when it comes to SA

1 - 4 of 4 Posts