Social Anxiety Support Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
2,602 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've lurked SAD related forums for many, many years which added to my own personal experience has led me to conclude that there are two main types of serious SAD sufferers.

The first type are those that are completely dominated by their illness and their mentality reflects that. They have an incredibly negative mentality; they blame everything on everyone else, they refuse to even heed any well meant advice, they're often incredibly obssesed about a certain aspect of their life such as sex/relationships/their appearance thinking that if they could change whatever they feel it's wrong in that regard everything would be solved, they refuse to take responsibility for their own lives, they're incredibly negative and will do everything in their power to alienate even those that try to help them.

The second type are those that while still suffer from SAD, even a very severe degree of it, have managed to form a more realistic and mature view of life and themselves. They're aware that they're sick and that there's no point in blaming others instead of actually trying to improve, they're not excessively bitter nor negative, they just accept life for what it is. They also don't try to constantly run away from their illness but actually try to get better even if they don't actually achieve it.

There are of course degrees within both types, from the type 2 that's almost fully cured to the type 1 that's nothing but a black hole of negativity and self pity.

I personally was the first type for most of my life, until a few years ago when a good therapist managed to open my eyes to how stupid and self destructive that mentality was. She certainly didn't cure my illness, not at all, but she gave me the tools to at least try and do so myself, instead of remaining as a bitter shadow of my real self.

I think that's the real use of therapy, not to find some magical cure but to have a professional that can make you snap out of those patterns of behavior and thought that are so incredibly destructive so you at least have a fighting chance against it all.

·
Freesix88
947 Posts
I guess you can place me in the second part.
I tried all sorts of medication and while some work, it works for a very short amount of time. The pill approach, I still believe in it for some part it isn't the cure. I hope to see a therapist soon ( it's not only social anxiety also anhedonia mainly). My negative loop of thoughts, maybe that is work for my therapist.
It's hard to change your self in the twenties
Posted via Topify using iPhone/iPad

·
transcendence
100 Posts
I used to be in top category too but when I moved away from the toxic people in my life, everything changed. Being shown kindness and respect helped me be less of a narcissist. I still have SAD but I have "summer sad". I hate warmer climates/weather/the sun and it really depresses me. It helps me a lot to mostly go out at night and find friends with similar schedules. Night shift is also good for me but this kind if life can be lonely. I was much happier in the Pacific Northwest but unfortunately I live in Southern California now. It's hard but I guess there's more to do here...

For regular SAD, I'd suggest keeping your home well lit and going out often during the day?

1 - 3 of 3 Posts