Social Anxiety Support Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts
118 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Right, let me start off by explaining my situation. I have severe OCD which I have had since I was about 12 (8 years), I suffer from SA (obviously) and I'm also beginning to show symptoms of ASPD (anti-social personality disorder) which is apparently linked to SA and also schizophrenia (although that's self-diagnosed). So anyway after years of suffering in silence and progressively getting worse and worse I decided to seek help in the form of a therapist. I was honest about my past drug use which was extensive to say the least although I have not touched drugs in almost a year now and I hardly ever drink anymore. I've only been to four appointments and it doesn't seem to be helping me at all, I mean talking about your problems is good but in my case it isn't helping to solve them.
So basically she won't put me on medication (I assume because of my past drug use) and she told me to give the CBT a chance even though I know myself and I'm sure it's not the approach for me. Just wondering if anyone else has been in a similar situation and if they have, how did they resolve it? Should I have lied about using drugs in the past or what? Any help appreciated.

·
Registered
60 Posts
If you think you need meds than you probably do. CBT doesn't always work on it's own, neither do meds though. Sometimes, you need a combination of CBT + SSRI's.

I have OCD. My gp put me on 100mg of sertraline which brought my anxiety right down. (CBT was pointless for me.)

SSRI's (meds) are basically to balance out the chemicals in the brain (raise serotonin levels).

But, they're are way to raise serotonin levels naturally, without the need for meds.

All you need to do is, exercise 30 mins a day, eat lots of fruit/veg and do fun activities.(could be anything a crossword puzzle, gaming etc)

I enjoy playing my guitar, taking a walk, and of course, playing call of duty online ahaha. These activities seem to give me a little boost.

118 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Exercise is pretty much off the menu for me as I'm a phsyical wreck as well as a psychological one, I seem to have the body of an 85 year old chinese man and I hate going outside unless absolutely necessary. And as for COD that stresses me out if I play too much although I'm beastin' with the Intervention atm (Black ops sucks ***). I'll have to see what she says, maybe I can get referred to someone who'll give me medication, as I really don't see CBT helping at all on it's own.

·
Registered
1,526 Posts
Some therapists don't believe in medication or they rather not put people on it They believe talking about your problems will solve them and that they can be overcome without medication. :roll Many people really do need medication to help them and in your case I believe that maybe you do.

I would suggest going to a regular doctor because they usually will give you anything you want or need.

·
wasd'r
323 Posts
Meds will make you feel better for a bit; they wont help you longterm. Its like putting a leash on the dog, the second it has a chance it will break free and be even more hyper and aggresive then before. Give what she suggests a try.

·
Banned
175 Posts
In my opinion, you'll be a stronger person if you can overcome this without medication. Meds don't always work well either. Sometimes they can make you feel worse and give you bad side effects/withdrawal effects. In my experience, they make you feel better for a little bit, but then you become dependent on them. If you research them, a lot of times there's no difference between meds and placebos. I don't know...I don't trust pharmaceutical companies.

If you really feel you need to be medicated though, you should try seeing a psychiatrist. They wouldn't hesitate to prescribe a patient medication.

Also, diet and exercise really do help to make you feel more balanced. I always shrugged this off. But a few months ago I shifted to a healthier diet (lots of fruits, veggies, protein, etc) and started exercising everyday. I definitely feel healthier living this way than I ever did on medications.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.