Social Anxiety Support Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
665 Posts
I've never experienced this, but if I had a therapist trying to shove pills down my throat, I'd definitely make a switch. There are plenty of therapists out there that use other methods besides medication. You made the right decision by dropping him, he obviously wasn't listening to your concerns.

·
Hear, See , Be silent
1,421 Posts
I can't tell you how many times my GP has told I "MUST" go on anti depressants, never going to touch them ever.

·
Registered
759 Posts
Any medication I am against unless I had no other choice and I made no progress. But I have made a ton of progress. Its just that he thinks I am worrying more than I actually am like I am depressed every day. When I made it clear to him I am not but want to work on things such as self-esteem and such. But he thinks popping a pill and becoming more depressed (Thoughts of Suicide) or constipation is better. I have tried over 20 different medications from when I was 8-16 and since I have been off them which I mentioned to him, I have been feeling better yet he is clueless.

BTW I know this thread has to due with Medication per say but not specific medications or asking for medication advise. It has to do with the frustration I have had with my therapist and how to cope with the anger and such. Also, looking for people who went through similar experiences and how they coped to benefit themselves which can possibly help me as well as others.
I feel ya bro. I have issues with self esteem but I do not consider myself depressed. Are you by any chance confused about what direction you want to take your life in, because I'm in that exact stage of life as well.

·
Registered
2,810 Posts
Everybody is different:

Without medication:
  1. In debt for ~$100,000
  2. Living with my parents well into my 30s
  3. Anxiety forced me to quit numerous academic programs including: law/MBA, dentistry, medicine, radiation science, etc.
  4. No car, no posessions
  5. Never had a full-time job
  6. ...
With medication:
  1. Finished a professional degree
  2. Got a high-paying job (I made more in my first year out than the rest of my life combined and I didn't start working until I turned 40)
  3. Bought a car, house, furniture
  4. Paid off my loan
  5. Got married
  6. ...
I'm not saying this is typical but this anti-drug stance is annoying and I even abused drugs for quite a few years and yet I wouldn't have changed anything. Without medication, I would have probably been without a job, living with my parents without much in the way of what one would consider a "productive life". Having said that there's nothing wrong with living with one's parents and not having a productive life, assuming it doesn't bother you. And I'm not saying the medication will work for everybody either or it won't have side-effects for some. For me, SSRIs feel more like candies compared to the drugs I was taking and abusing before (benzos + narcotics). And yet, they served their purpose for those 8 years.

·
Registered
759 Posts
Everybody is different:

Without medication:
  1. In debt for ~$100,000
  2. Living with my parents well into my 30s
  3. Anxiety forced me to quit numerous academic programs including: law/MBA, dentistry, medicine, radiation science, etc.
  4. No car, no posessions
  5. Never had a full-time job
  6. ...
With medication:
  1. Finished a professional degree
  2. Got a high-paying job (I made more in my first year out than the rest of my life combined and I didn't start working until I turned 40)
  3. Bought a car, house, furniture
  4. Paid off my loan
  5. Got married
  6. ...
I'm not saying this is typical but this anti-drug stance is annoying and I even abused drugs for quite a few years and yet I wouldn't have changed anything. Without medication, I would have probably been without a job, living with my parents without much in the way of what one would consider a "productive life". Having said that there's nothing wrong with living with one's parents and not having a productive life, assuming it doesn't bother you. And I'm not saying the medication will work fr everybody either or it won't have side-effects for some. For me, SSRIs feel more like candies than the drugs I was taking and abusing before (benzos + narcotics). And yet, they served their purpose for those 8 years.
What side effects have you noticed from those 8 years of ssri's?

·
Registered
749 Posts
My therapist hasn't mentioned medication once, which is actually throwing me a little bit, because medication should at least be an option I think. But therapists need to listen to the concerns of their patients. It's not like you're clinically insane, you should have a say in how you are medically treated. Therapists should be there to aide their patients. They should not have a God-complex where they think that every word that comes out of their mouth is a divine gift to their poor suffering subject. I'd definitely search around if your therapist is ignoring your concerns.

·
Registered
121 Posts
I hate therapists like that, the ones that keep insisting that medication is the answer no matter what. I had one like that and unfortunately they were assigned to me so i had no choice but to go see them and whenever i said i wasn't interested in medication they would call in another of their colleagues or student nurse or something, who predictably all agreed with each other and would basically try to bully you into submitting and admit you need medication. I am convinced some of them will try to rope you onto cycle after cycle of medication even if you're just 'having a bad day'.

I think you did the right thing in getting rid of that therapist and trying to find another one, although, in my experience a lot of them work the same way...the first few appointments it's all cool but then after that they never leave you alone about 'taking your medicine'. But it might work out different for you though.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.