Social Anxiety Support Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
122 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So when I was a teenager I did a lot of youth theatre. I couldn't have been less naturally adept at it - when I was a teenager I was at my absolute worst for SA, and I barely spoke to anyone. But for some reason all I wanted to do was be on stage and have everyone stare at me. I know, it makes no sense. Of course I never got any main parts or anything, because I was just too quiet, no one believed I'd be able to be heard on stage. But there was this really weird thing that would happen, psychologically. Every now and then I'd get the chance, as part of a game or an exercise or something, to say something on stage, and it was like my whole chest and throat would open up and this voice would come out, so much deeper and louder than I was expecting. This is so cheesy, but it really was like being able to be on stage gave me the excuse to not be Shy Nat anymore. It was the only place where I could pretend that wasn't me... or rather, I didn't have to pretend that was me. Does that sound absurd?

Does anyone else have any experience with theatre and performance and SA, and did it help you or hinder you?

·
you only sin differently.
4 Posts
Thats awesome! I wish I had that! Unfortunatly my social anxiety makes my voice in groups very very shakey awkward and unhearable. Never tried on stage. You should try acting :D

·
suh dude
1,466 Posts
That does sound absurd haha, but that is a big accomplishment. I can guarantee very few people on this forum would feel comfortable doing that, including myself. Now if you can channel that feeling into other social interactions you'll be in fine shape! Aren't we all actors and the world is our stage? :)

·
Creepy Art Creator
29 Posts
I feel the same way about teaching/group presentations. I do really well and feel really comfortable in front of a group when I'm teaching a lesson. I think it's because I'm in charge of the situation and they are kind of a captive audience, they can't reject me because I'm the teacher and I know what I'm talking about lol.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts