Social Anxiety Support Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
May of 2008... it was the period of my life where I definitely knew I needed some sort of answer, and would do whatever I could to understand & help myself as much as possible. I had been cordially invited to attend a Beer Expo in Frankenmuth, Michigan, roughly 25-30 miles from where I live. During the time, the idea wasn't really too appealing to me right off the bat, but I had to stop and realize how there were going to be friends, friends of friends, family (my brother), my brother's friends, basically "everyone" whom I knew of was going to be attending there, and I figured I was going to be fine given that I was comfortable, and close with most of the people I would be riding together, so saying "no" was really not an option. Fast forward to when we arrived there, after "sampling" cup after cup of dark beer, light beer, this beer, that beer, the alcohol without a doubt was doing it's work, nobody would ever sense, or even suspect and develop some sort of suspicion about myself... but little did I know they would soon see it with their own two eyes, the "punchy" expression painted on my emotionless, scared, and worrisome face that resembled furrowed eyebrows and mouth frowned so hard as if even trying to express a smile, a smirk, would take exaggerated effort to even attempt. I had to leave... but how? The bathrooms were overcrowded, I couldn't hide in there, I couldn't remember where my friend had parked... I was trapped, imprisoned and felt as if I was being punished, and judged telepathically by what seemed & appeared to of been the "stink-eyes" mirroring back at me. Could I tell, or explain to them what was going on? Would they understand? What would I tell them? I had to prepare something, but even if they had asked what was wrong, would the jumbled words even escape my mouth? Would they even comprehend my incoherent words? Quickly, I grabbed my shades, praying that I would be able to hide my face until it was time to leave... it was no use. I couldn't run, I couldn't hide, I just had to wait around and suffer and practically reveal to everyone, including my brother & friends, that something was seriously wrong through my purely negative expression. The one & only thing on my mind was to just snap out of this horrendous state of mind/being, and just return to my safe spot, in my room, on my bed, and just let the feeling & expression taper off on its own, which is exactly what I did when I finally had gotten back home. So what did this awful experience cause me to do? Let's just say that I have missed out on so much, a lot of friend & family events, and important occasions, because of and for the fear of "disconnecting" before everyone's own eyes. But was it actually the alcohol I had drank that had this effect on me? Looking back on that day, I now wonder if it in fact could have been prevented, or reversed somehow. It's obvious that I could've just no have drank, but I didn't have the slightest clue my symptoms would only become amplified by the alcohol. Fast forward to today, after trial & erroring, trial & erroring almost all of the class off psychoactive drugs, Benzos appear to dissolve almost all of my symptoms, and this basically allowed me to give myself the assumption that it was in fact social anxiety all along (whenever I worry, it usually & always corresponds to a poor/dull social interaction experienced as some point in my life). It has just been so damn hard to pinpoint because of the lack of classic symptoms (panic attacks, heart palpitations, etc.). So, with that all said, I've been beginning to feel more & more comfortable inside my own skin, and have been allowing myself to get out more... there's just that ONE thing/question etched out in the back of my head... are Benzos and MODERATE alcohol ok and safe together? I really do miss the feeling of going out & having a good time with my friends, and if all it takes is taking a low dosage of Xanax, Klonopin, or Valium beforehand, then I don't care, I just want to prevent what I experienced on that god awful day.

·
Lazy guy on the couch
54 Posts
Obviously most people are going to say NOOOOO NOT Good... I've been taking Klonopin for over a year, and If I know I'm going to be going out, I try to have a window of around 8 hours or so before I have a drink....

I'm also on lexapro, and I take that around noonish..

Anyhow, If I give my self that window, I'm normally fine drinking, ( getting drunk ).....

There have been a few times where I had taken a klonopin and all of a sudden I get a phone call to go out.... None the less, I don't like being a hermit, so I still go out... I just pace my self better.... Just don't start slamming shots, or you might wake up going, WTF happened last night...... I've been there.....

Honestly, I think taking Lexapro before going out and drinking got me drunker/ felt weirdish...... I use to take it at night, but I switched to during the day...

Just be careful..

To each, its own.......

By no means am saying it's good, Its my own personal choice to drink while on medication...... I'm solely responsible for my own body, so I would never tell anyone what to do... Just sharing my personal experience...

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Obviously most people are going to say NOOOOO NOT Good...
Haha, um... yeah, that is EXACTLY what went on through my head during this whole ordeal. Ya know what though.., (something which I should definitely point out) just recently I've been doing some close & careful studying, and researching regarding/involving The Dopamine Pathways. I really wanna say this has a HUMONGOUS correlation to what I had experienced that day, as well as my SAD. Perhaps the alcohol tends to imbalance the D2 pathway? There were a couple threads posted up here on SAS regarding the connection between SAD & dopamine... I am strongly, strongly beginning to see a connection here, especially given that the ONLY supplement that really ever did justice for my condition, and helped was L-Tyrosine (though I felt a slight tolerance overcome, but nevertheless helpful IMHO). Please, if anyone's familiar regarding the subject, and familiar with other approaches known to alleviate such symptoms, feel free to reply & comment. btw, I must note this affect caused by alcohol occurred during a few more occasions other than the one I had discussed, just not as drastic, given their were way, way less people around than this event. And as strange as it might sound, the supplement DLPA seemed to cause a pretty similar effect... very, very bizarre given how L-Tyrosine (a dopamine precursor, like DLPA) had in fact helped. Any feedback would definitely, definitely be appreciated.

·
Registered
192 Posts
I think alcohol is a much more powerful anxiolytic than benzos but IME if I'm really anxious nothing short of like a 12 pack of beer is going to temper my anxiety. If benzos work than use them. You don't really want to mix social drinking and benzos. It's best to establish a safe "buffer zone" between your last benzo dose and your first drink and you want to experiment with finding this period of time in the safety of your home.

If benzos work, and allow you to enjoy yourself socially, you can always drink tonic with lime and nobody will notice you refraining (or just be the designated driver if you're comfortable with that.) I mean, do you honestly think less of people who don't drink alcohol?

1 - 5 of 5 Posts