Social Anxiety Support Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Hiding behind the sofa
255 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Recently I've been uploading some video blog entries on YouTube about my depression/SA/OCD, because of this people I know found the videos and now have some inkling of what I have. This is something I've been trying to cover up for the last 17 years. Recently I found that I needed somewhere to talk about it, hence this account, the blog and video-blog. Recently I also broke up with my girlfriend (today in fact, and it's ex-girlfriend now), it was a painful experience and one where I learnt that my inability to talk about all this outside of the indirect, informality of the internet hurts those around me. So, I think that the best course of action is to start to talk about it all, and not just on the internet. Step one is to tell my parents about it, it'll be difficult and I'm sure that it'll make things a bit harder for sometime, but at least everyone'll know where they stand. Anyway, that's it; the truth will out.

·
Painfully Shy Guy
418 Posts
That sounds like an excellent idea Braxietel. I never discuss this disorder outside of my therapist's office or on this site. I wish I had the courage to be upfront about it with others like you are. Good luck!

·
Geese
20,768 Posts
Sorry to hear about your break-up, hope you don't feel too down in the dumps about it. Also hope your friends do not give you trouble about finding your videos, if they are good friends they should be supportive however.

Telling your parents is a good thing, was probably the best thing I ever did regarding SA because their support was what has gotten me to the stage where I am now and I couldn't ask for more.

Good luck with it all and keep us updated.

·
In hiding
1,455 Posts
Hey, I just wanted to say good luck. I wish I could talk to people about it. I've only managed to tell some people who aren't in my family but even then I only called it 'anxiety', not SA.

·
Registered
7,435 Posts
It was tough and was a bit of a prolonged process and still there is some unease about it with my parents, but talking to them about it was one of the most hardest, yet helpful things I did to try and get over SA. I'm definitely in a much better place now with my SA and with my parents because I told them about it. [I still remember standing outside their bedroom door, staring at the door knob having last minute jitters about going in, lol, but once you get the intial convo started it'll be a lot easier to explain the rest.]

Good luck Braxietel :)

·
The baddest in the game
783 Posts
Sorry to hear about your break up, i hope it was not too bad for you.

I commend your courage to tell your parents about your Depression/SA/OCD. I myself don't think i would be strong enough to actually tell my parents, not anytime soon anyways, I'm not sure how they would take it. I think what your doing is great, and i wish you nothing but the best of luck telling them.

·
Registered
2,804 Posts
Hey I really like your videos you seem cool. You really remind me of an old friend of mine... I miss that boy lol. I think it's really brave when people post personal things like that. I think it's a good idea to tell your parents it'll be hard but then you won't have to worry about it and go into details of it again with them. You can get help without having to hide it. Good luck with everything I hope it goes well.

·
Hiding behind the sofa
255 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks everyone for the kind feedback. Tomorrow's the day I believe. I can't do this unprepared or anything, and can barely even talk about it without having some sort of 'freak-out', when I try to my mind goes blank and I feel light-headed and like I'm going to be ill. So to counter this I'm preparing an 'info sheet' that I can have as a backup and to refer to. I'm unsure if I should included some of depression stuff; I think they could just about handle the SA/OCD but more suicidal stuff (which isn't that prevalent now anyway) I don't think they could deal with.

·
sa challenger
5,079 Posts
Telling your parents, friends, and girls is a good idea because it will help them understand you. ex. you're not lazy, or trying purposely to avoid them, etc. You're doing us a service by spreading SA information and making sufferers feel less alone, thanks!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts