Social Anxiety Support Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Okay, so I know many people in the past (myself included) have turned to alcohol because they feel less anxious and more socially awesome when they're drunk. This is my personal thoughts and opinions on alcohol and SA, I'm not trying to preach to anyone, I'm just gonna put it out there and see if what everyone thinks.

I've found that if you drink enough to start feeling it's effects, it will give you confidence and it will alleviate your social anxiety to make you interact with people in a way you never have before. It will feel good, I'm not gonna lie. For me, it gave me confidence to ask someone out that I wanted to. But, the thing is...the alcohol will fade, you will become sober again, and your social anxiety will still be there. So while "liquid courage" may help you at the time, you're going to be sober the next day. And you just may regret what you did or said to someone while you were intoxicated and feeling great, like I do right now. Turning to alcohol too much isn't healthy, either. You don't want to add alcoholism to your list of problems. Overall, what I'm saying is, alcohol will not solve our problems, so I think we need to be careful relying on it too much.

·
Banned
733 Posts
Alcohol is and always will be in a negative light for me since I have lost two uncles because of it. To be honest, I would much rather live with my anxiety than drink. :no

·
░░░░░░░&
1,042 Posts
So true, I used to make my own wine 2-3 yrs ago when I was still underage to buy alcohol and used to drink the stuff whenever I had to face an anxiety provoking situation. It makes you feel awesome when you're into but it basically makes your problems fade temporarily. I still have less than half a gallon of wine in the fridge from 2 yrs ago. Im glad I stopped using it before I became dependent on it. Now I rely on marijuana, not too glad about it neither

·
♎ Mackinac Island Fanatic
28,958 Posts
Okay, so I know many people in the past (myself included) have turned to alcohol because they feel less anxious and more socially awesome when they're drunk. This is my personal thoughts and opinions on alcohol and SA, I'm not trying to preach to anyone, I'm just gonna put it out there and see if what everyone thinks.

I've found that if you drink enough to start feeling it's effects, it will give you confidence and it will alleviate your social anxiety to make you interact with people in a way you never have before. It will feel good, I'm not gonna lie. For me, it gave me confidence to ask someone out that I wanted to. But, the thing is...the alcohol will fade, you will become sober again, and your social anxiety will still be there. So while "liquid courage" may help you at the time, you're going to be sober the next day. And you just may regret what you did or said to someone while you were intoxicated and feeling great, like I do right now. Turning to alcohol too much isn't healthy, either. You don't want to add alcoholism to your list of problems. Overall, what I'm saying is, alcohol will not solve our problems, so I think we need to be careful relying on it too much.
:yes I fully agree, thus why I prefer not to drink, period. (I'd rather not tempt fate and end up enjoying it so much I get hooked.) Plus yes, all the dread of saying/doing things under the influence...or having things done to me. :afr

·
Eternal Slack
3,195 Posts
Alcohol is a good jump start for me. I don't have as much anxiety when it wears off compared to before I started drinking. This is probably due to already being involved in whatever social event/venue I'm at. Although I do leave early sometimes when the milder anxiety sets in.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Everyone is different, therefore everyone needs to be able to think for themselves when it comes to drinking, or anything else for that matter. It might not be right for some people, because perhaps they have an addictive personality and will rely on alcohol way more than they should, or maybe they have no self control and can't easily control the amount they drink.
Or maybe, like me, having a few beers with friends or a glass of wine in the evening is exactly the kind of stress relief and relaxation I need once in a while... It lets me take a break from anxiety and just be myself, because I am NOT the anxious, scared, stressed person social anxiety makes me into.
Sure there are occasions when I've drank too much, said a few embarrassing/stupid things, but the experience was worth it to me because sometimes I need to loosen up and do something a little irresponsible. I spend pretty much every waking moment stressing about life, so taking the edge off with a few drinks at a social event can make the difference between a night spent sitting in a dark corner alone watching everyone else talk and have fun, or standing in the center of a circle of friends, making people laugh and building friendships.
Like I said, everyone is different. Overdoing anything is a bad idea, not just alcohol, so if you have a personal issue with self-control, addiction, or getting into trouble when under the influence, then steer clear, because lots of things can be very enjoyable if done in moderation. Cheers!

·
Registered
5 Posts
For me it's been kind of a catch-22 with alcohol lately...it definitely makes me feel a lot better, and I can handle being around people.....but a series of events in my life surrounding alcohol (regret, doing stupid things, an acquaintance crashing his car while driving drunk, etc.) has made me sort of loathe the idea of being drunk. But I still do it, and it makes me feel better at the moment, but at the same time I feel almost ashamed, because I've associated being drunk with doing such stupid things.

·
Very awkward person
109 Posts
I also drank heavily (never to the point of passing out/vomiting) to get rid of my social anxiety temporarily a couple years ago, but it never got too out of hand.

It feels awesome being social and not having that nagging SA.

Now I rarely drink unless I feel like it. But on the downside I'm usually at home most of the time alone. :sigh

·
Cut Above
1,827 Posts
Alcohol is and always will be in a negative light for me since I have lost two uncles because of it. To be honest, I would much rather live with my anxiety than drink. :no
This is basically what I was going to say.
Almost everyone in my extended famiy drinks and are all paying for it.
Dealing with anxiety is easier than turning to alchohol in my opinion.

·
Registered
1,164 Posts
When I used to get drunk almost everynight and go out out on the weekends I was a totally different person. I was more outgoing and fun to be around. I realized it was time to give it up in my late 20's but I had a nice 7 year stretch of boozing without getting into too much trouble.

·
living
455 Posts
another type of liquid whith it's own chemical properties.
or is it the deception of something else?

·
Registered
138 Posts
I absolutely agree with you...
I once thought that alcohol would solve all my SA problems... i would be invincible. And while it did work for a short time (it was amazing i admit)
eventually i craved it more and more and learned the consequences.
i come to realize... alcohol just covers up the real problem. in the end it isn't wort it.

·
Registered
1,336 Posts
Ive used alcohol before and it has helped me out in some ways. its true though that the social anxiety will be there afterwards and shouldnt be used as a permanent solution , and should only be used temporarily and not every day. Well, I rarely gett to ask anyone out on dates. For some reason I let this Sa go on for to long. I also have a family history of alcoholism in the past.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts