Social Anxiety Support Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
In the doghouse
1,165 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've always told myself I would sit down and read this Stephen King classic. Finally(!), last week I picked up the unedited version and really have not put it down since. Is anyone else a fan of this book??

·
Registered
1,475 Posts
I read this a long time ago - I think I still have a copy somewhere. I recall enjoying it, but don't you find Stephen King goes into so much detail with his characters, that his novels end up being a lot longer than perhaps they need to be.

I found the books King wrote under the pseudonym Richard Bachman to be very enjoyable as well.

·
Registered
984 Posts
The first parts of the book are awesome, some of the best apocalyptic literature ever written. Randal Flagg starts off as one of the most mysterious villains in a King book. Then you get to the last section and walk away pretty dissapointed at how things turned out. King has admitted he didn't know how to end the book and droned on.

·
In the doghouse
1,165 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
That's interesting ScrewJack! I hope the quality of the writing doesn't drop off too much because you're right, the first half of the book is awesome. Just getting into the second half I'm noticing the dialogue is getting pretty expository. I hope that's a trend that doesn't continue.

lastofthekews - Yep, King does seem to take his time with the character details. Honestly, this is the first King book I've read so any recommendations you have on what to read next would be greatly appreciated.

I noticed the "What Are You Reading Part 2" thread after I started this. Hopefully nobody thinks I'm an arrogant a** for starting my very own discussion...lol

·
Registered
3,836 Posts
They play the whole movie in three or four parts, back to back (one after the other), or over 3 or 4 days on the sci fi channel every now and then. The movie starts with an interesting depiction of the characters but the ending is weak. The book/movie could of built up that the main good characters' "real life" was in another world and another hope. But it was never addressed at all (well kind of Biblical references but there were no actual events beyond that in actual things they did I mean) and when they took a stand it wasn't that believable. It was missing a real feeling of deeper motivation from the characters in the end. There could have been scenes of the characters showing what was important to them already. That I think is how King got confused about the ending. He did a great job in general though. That looked like a very hard book to write.

·
Registered
3,836 Posts
You can watch the movie in parts on youtube. They have different subcateories for the parts. "the plague" "the dreams" "the betrayal" and there may be another one. They each have part 1, part 2, part 3, etc. in each of those titles. You would have to get the order straightened out first of what the subcategories are in order and see if you have all of the parts as well. I don't know if they have the whole thing on there or if something is missing. Here is the beginning. There are pictures of people supposedly dead without blood though. They usually play it around Halloween or in October or November on sci fi

·
Registered
364 Posts
If you like the stand try "Swan Song" post apocalyptic about after effects of nuclear war.

·
Registered
1,268 Posts
I certainly am! Enjoyed reading the book alot and loved the movie! Without a doubt, one of my top favourite horror stories :)

·
gone
5,224 Posts
I've read it a couple times. It's very long. The first part of the book, describing the disintigration of society, is excellently done, I thought. The final parts of the book...eh, not so much. It clanks with a real deus ex machina at the end.

·
Registered
2,388 Posts
Great book. I liked the whole thing but yeah the first half was better.

The miniseries was decent but not as great as it could have been. Watching the whole thing on youtube sounds really tedious. Just rent the dvd.

·
Banned
1,872 Posts
The Stand is probably King's best book, agreed that it lags a little in the second half but its still a good read. Its weird but when I was reading it I would have dreams about it almost every night.

·
Registered
3,836 Posts
Great book. I liked the whole thing but yeah the first half was better.

The miniseries was decent but not as great as it could have been. Watching the whole thing on youtube sounds really tedious. Just rent the dvd.
It does sound tedious. I noticed them there on youtube but it isn't a good idea when I think about the trouble and that wording across the screen is annoying.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts