Social Anxiety Support Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 48 Posts

·
Registered
2,602 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
1) Trolling is absolutely rampant and by trolling I don't mean opinions that I disagree with or dislike but users that very obviously make inflammatory comments and threads with the sole intention of provoking angry responses, which they will achieve, the thread will go on for a few pages filled with insults and stupidity flying everywhere until until it gets deleted.

The same user will then do the same thing and then maybe after some 20 occurrences of it he or she will get a temp ban only to come back and do it again as soon as it's over.

There are some 8-10 users that if they were to get banned, at least from the S&C section, then the quality of it would sky rocket. Anyone that has frequented it probably knows who they are. Yet it won't happen, threads get deleted but the underlying issue is left unaddressed and that why the quality of it has been in a free fall, at least compared to when I joined. It may have been worse before, I can't bear witness to that.

2) There's absolutely zero quality standard; in any serious thread at the very least half the responses to any given thread will be one liners, jokes, images, memes, two users having some off topic conversation with each other, etc, all of them absolutely worthless from any intellectual point of view and these kind of comments are considered perfectly acceptable.

Serious, mature discussion has no hope of developing if silly, childish and pointless comments are so openly allowed in what I assume should be a more serious section of the forums.

Many threads that are obviously not serious or meant to spark any sort of actual discussion are allowed to remain there, when they should be moved to General Discussion or another section.

I know very well that this isn't going to change, it's obvious that the mod team lacks both the numbers and experience to properly moderate the nuisances of a section like that and I honestly doubt that whichever company owns this forum cares enough to put so much effort into creating a quality discussion environment in just one section.

Still, as someone that once moderated a similar section in a similarly sized forum it's really sad to see the potential for a proper debate section to be so utterly squandered as the truly quality users are usually attracted to those type of sections and if they offer good content then they often work as anchors for them, improving the quality of the forums a whole.

As it stands right now the only reason to participate in the S&C section is if you have suicidal tendencies and wish to develop brain cancer by way of reading it.

·
Registered
154,235 Posts
I have reported several posts, so even from a moderation perspective, there are posts that clearly violate guidelines.

·
Buried at Sea
5,104 Posts
Those threads have proven to be a great way to update my ignore list.

·
SAS Member
7,407 Posts
OP, I completely agree. The rules in S&C should be a lot more stringent than they are.

In before this thread gets locked and nothing changes, though.

·
Banned
453 Posts
Guarantee that you were referring to my threads. Disagree with my opinion all you want, I don't care. I won't report you for having a dissenting opinion, but apparently you want others reported/banned for theirs.

·
Chlorine and Wine
12,105 Posts
Only now it has reached a low? Heh.

·
Registered
154,235 Posts

·
Penguin
4,506 Posts
S&C gon S&C.

I see where the OP is coming from but ultimately I think it's best left alone. People need somewhere to express their often controversial opinions, and this shouldn't be denied because of a few trolls.

·
SAS Member
Public Universal Enemy
43,336 Posts
I don't like where it's going right now either. The general atmosphere. I don't think it needs to be moderated since I want people to be able to say what they want, but it is unfortunate.

It just desperately needs some new threads, some people need to stop trolling (certain users have even admitted to doing so in there before...) And it's just so... Non-constructive now. I mean, it's never been great lol but it feels like it's getting worse.

·
I'm not Dead...Yet
2,189 Posts
New low? It's always been that way for the most part. It just seems worse since more people are posting there now and it's a lot less moderated.

But I quit posting there once it took the tone of every other similar forum of the web and I haven't looked back since.

My visits on this site is much better without it.

·
Wonderland
10,602 Posts
New low? It's always been that way for the most part. It just seems worse since more people are posting there now and it's a lot less moderated.

But I quit posting there once it took the tone of every other similar forum of the web and I haven't looked back since.

My visits on this site is much better without it.
I agree it's honestly always been like this since I joined the site. There are about 9 frequent (or where frequent in 2009) posters that I put ignore on just due to ignorance and stupidity. I rarely go in the section as every-time I post in it I regret it and have a panic attack in fear someone is going to attack me (more my own personal fears :eek:ops ) but some member's attitude doesn't help feel comfortable to voice opinions.

Also OP - I don't think moderators can moderate that without being called over censorship and pissing a lot of people off. A few threads back people are voicing about to much being removed on S&C and now this one to less. :con It's to hard to please everyone on a forum and will only cause head aches on them :b

Could always thought your own e-group on SAS and make a new version of the S&C and moderate/ edit it how you like for more mature discussion. :idea

·
Registered
513 Posts
Honestly, they need to just flush that entire part of the forum.

1) This is a mental health site for people with SA. Why is a board with hot button flame bait issues even needed? More importantly:

2) It's flatout attracting the wrong crowd to the forum. To me you can't have a site with "support" in the title and have what goes on there happening on a daily bases and be taken seriously.

I think if that little section of the forum vanished overnight, the celebration would be massive. The people that would whine about it can gladly leave and go post that garbage on another forum.

It won't be missed here, that's for sure.

·
Registered
5,994 Posts
I think Steppenwolf should be a mod, one of the most intelligent posters on this forum.
Yes, Amazing, outstanding individual who is clearly head and shoulders above anyone here, wasted on this forum imo.

1 - 20 of 48 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.