Social Anxiety Support Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
414 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
has anybody played the "so what" game with their anxiety, my therapist challenged me to say "so what? when it comes to social interactions or situations and i am finding myself still saying "what if? in my head over and over especially when i am around cute girls, even if it is a simple conversation, i will think in my head, the girl might be thinking i am just trying to pick her up, so i just avoid it most of the time, why does "so what" seem so hard.

·
Top 5 Poster
6,051 Posts
Sounds a lot like **** it in pop culture

Like when people take a huge risk, they are figthing themselves over it and just say

**** it

And go and do it

·
Registered
1,847 Posts
has anybody played the "so what" game with their anxiety, my therapist challenged me to say "so what? when it comes to social interactions or situations and i am finding myself still saying "what if? in my head over and over especially when i am around cute girls, even if it is a simple conversation, i will think in my head, the girl might be thinking i am just trying to pick her up, so i just avoid it most of the time, why does "so what" seem so hard.
Did your mom (or sister), by any chance, ever tell you stories or situations she was in where a guy was flirting with her and how she was not interested or even disgusted? This might be the cause of what I bolded... it was for me.

·
Quartzfiend
447 Posts
Definitely! :yes

It helps a lot. The "so what" treatment was a key in helping me rationalize my fears and recover.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts