Social Anxiety Support Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anyone read or watched the DVD? It is very moving and inspirational. a while back i was very into it and everything was going great but then u got real busy and kinda fell off track.

·
Registered
1,784 Posts
yeah, i really liked it too. they kinda pimp out the law of attraction and make it fun.

but i completely disagree with the part about you not having to take much action and the universe will come knocking on the door and give you whatever you want. You will have to do the majority of the action yourself and you will need a plan on how to achieve your goal. the law of attraction just fuels the whole process by making you attracted to the goal. its motivation

and you do send out a vibe, but that vibe is picked up by other people, not by an inanimate universe. you can't think about rain really hard and make it rain, but you can think alot about being in a great relationship or money and other people will feel that positive vibe threw your body language, tone and actions and respond positively back, helping you to achieve it.

so ya, Im not a big fan of the magical stuff. I think the way I explain it is more believable and practical

·
Registered
706 Posts
Probably about half of it is good and half is crap.

The notion that you can cure cancer by simply thinking about it is dangerous and criminal.

·
Registered
984 Posts
Overhyped. Affirmations aren't a "secret" they've been around forever. You don't need to blow your money on this there are less hokey things you can find for free online or library. I kind of get a new agey cult feel from it too but that's just my opinion.

·
Registered
7 Posts
I've read the book and seen the DVD twice in group therapy. The first time I saw the movie, I thought "this is great!" I think having a positive attitude definitely tends to attract positive people, so it made some sense. The second time, it felt like I was being given a sales pitch or something, and it really turned me off.

I did like the idea of having a gratitude stone or something similar to remind yourself to be grateful for the positive things in your life. Its a good way to lift your spirits when you're feeling depressed.

·
Banned
347 Posts
Okay, it's common sense. It's called goals, if you keep thinking about something, you are going to go and get it. The video doesn't talk about loving yourself and accepting yourself which is what you need to do to start really using "the law of attraction."

·
Registered
14 Posts
here's the thing. i watched it. what the secret tells u to do is to think positive thoughts so positive things flow into your life. this is in a way true. but this is not the true key to getting what u want in life. the only way to get waht u really want in life is to develop a BURNING DESIRE to change, build ur faith that u will succeed, and take continuous action until ur dreams come to fruition. trust me.

·
Registered
14 Posts
continiung from what i stated, u will notice that everything that u've accomplished in life so far ( big or small ) was accomplished by having those key features. think about it...and u will believe.

here's a perfect example, i guarantee that anyone here who NEEDS to overcome social anxiety and has faith that s/he will, will see improvements and end up defeating social anxiety. i REALLY BADLY WANT to overcome SA, i believe deeply that since others have overcome it so i will too, and because of this i have already seen improvements in my general everyday life. and i will continue to fight SA until i live a social life with friends i'll have fun with everyday. :roll

·
Registered
24 Posts
I found "The Secret" when I was still working on overcoming my social anxiety/panic attacks. I think there are some good general messages in there, and it can be inspirational and make you feel a bit more optimistic after watching it.

However, as anything, I take it with a grain of salt. There are some things in there I don't agree with, but overall I found the movie helpful in my struggles, and watched it over and over many times as it always fired me up to overcome my anxiety problems and live a real life again.

Cheers,
steve

·
Banned
19,437 Posts
Fortunately, I got to see it for free on Youtube. I'm beginning to think there might be something to this "Law of Attraction." Seems as though when I learn something new, I'll start seeing it everywhere. Then again, it might be that I've just never noticed it before. It has happened with some very obscure things, though...so who knows? There's a lot we don't know about the universe. (Obvious understatement of the year, lol!)

·
Registered
229 Posts
Its worked for me but in ways I cannot understand. Smaller things usually, but other things as well.

As some examples I 'utilized' the secret on a vending machine to get extra change, I used the law of attraction to 'predict' a sports score, I've used it to speed traffic. The other day I used it to attract childhood friends and old people from high school and guess what... this week I've gotten in contact with around 3 ppl I knew from high school and one very good childhood friend. I may sound like a freak to you guys, but I believe in it... it just takes patience.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts