Social Anxiety Support Forum banner

1 - 20 of 412 Posts

·
Registered
14,599 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Since we aren't getting a food forum, why not have an ongoing thread with the best recipes SASers have to offer?

I personally love to cook. I try to cook healthy recipes that are delicious.

Here is a new favorite of mine, I got this out of a magazine and thought it came out awesome.

Thai Salmon with Roasted Sesame Asparagus

1 lb asparagus, ends trimmed
2 tsp toasted sesame oil
1 tsp each sea salt and freshly ground black pepper
1 tbsp Thai red chili paste
2 tsp lime juice
½ tsp each coriander and ginger
4 skinless salmon filets

Heat oven to 450 degrees. On a baking sheet with sides, toss asparagus with oil, ½ tsp of the salt and peppers, arrange in a single layers and roast 5 minutes. Sprinkle with sesame seeds and roast 5 minutes more, tossing until tender-crisp.

Meanwhile, combine chili paste, lime juice, coriander and ginger until blended well. Brush mixture over both sides of salmon, then season with the remaining ½ tsp salt.

You can pan cook salmon in a large nonstick skillet with canola oil cooking spray over a medium-high head or cook on Foreman grill. Personally, I do the Foreman.

Serve by putting salmon over roasted asparagus.

Makes 4 Servings.

Approx 267 calories, 10 g fat, 39 grams protein and 5 g carbs.

1,521 Posts
I actually thought about starting a recipe thread. I'm glad someone finally did it :)

I'll dig out some recipes soon that I want to share. I'm also really getting into Turkish/Mediterranean/Middle Eastern cuizine, so I'll try to share those recipes as well.

You're recipe sounds really good btw.

·
Perv Ranger #14
311 Posts

I was bored one day and cooked some Chicken Adobo... Filipino recipe that my grandfather use to always cook so i pulled it up. Video comes with a little story too :D

·
Call Me !!!!
4,066 Posts
Good stuff guys, i can cook a few Indian and Italian dishes but id really like to learn how to cook Mexican though that would be neat.

·
Registered
14,599 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
So I tried to make some homemade chicken soup completely from scratch. It came out okay but not great. I am really not sure what I am doing wrong. It comes out a bit too thick and the stock, regardless of how long I cook it or what I add always seems a wee bit bland. :(

·
Retired Enforcer
19,112 Posts
I use my crockpot for chicken soup.

Put the chicken in and add water.
Salt pepper garlic powder and a bay leaf.
I taste it when I get home. If it needs salt then I add more.
I freeze what I don't eat immediately and then add other ingredients as I feel like it. noodles, veggies etc.

Sunday I was at a friend's and he made Chicken & Dumplings
He started with by sauteing a few cloves of garlic and and an onion.
Added about 6 chicken thighs (skinned) and let them cook just a little.
Next he added 2 boxes (40 oz each I think) of chicken broth.
Carrots, peas, celery, broccoli and cauliflower.
When the chicken was pretty much falling off the bones we mixed up some Bisquick and dropped it into the boiling liquid. (small spoonfuls) About 30 minutes later we were ready to eat.
The outer edges of the dumplings had dissolved into the broth and thickened it just a little. We had a delicious, creamy soup with little pieces of dumpling floating in it.

1,521 Posts
K, so here's a couple of Turkish recipes I learned from Turkish cooking class. There's supposed to be another class on Thursday so hopefully I'll have some more good ones then :)

The first recipe, I really like a lot. Looking at the ingredients it probably sounds really gross, but I like it anyway. Hopefully someone on here will find it yummo too. The second recipe is a healthy snack and goes well with the Kısır IMO.

Kısır (Wheat salad)

Ingredients: (serves 2-3)
1 cup finely cracked bulgur (cracked wheat)
1 cup boiling water
3 tbs red pepper paste
1/2 cup chopped parsley, mint, and dill
1 onion and 2 cloves of garlic, chopped
1/4 cup olive oil
1 green pepper, chopped
1 cucumber, chopped (optional)
1-2 scallions, chopped
juice of 2 lemons
salt, thyme, black pepper, cummin, sumac, red pepper

a few leaves of romaine lettuce and pickles for garnish

1. In a large bowl,cover the bulgur with boiling water (the water and bulgur should be at the same level). Cover the lid and set it aside for about 10-15 minutes.
2. Meanwhile sauté the onion and garlic in olive oil, for about 10 minutes. Then add 1 tbs of the pepper paste and stir, sauté for a few minutes more.
3. Chop the all the veggies except the lettuce leaves.
4. Bulgur must have absorbed the water now. Add 2 tbs of pepper paste and mix it using your hands. Knead it for a few minutes as if you're kneading a dough so that the color of bulgur turns reddish at this process. Then you can wash your hands and continue with a spoon
5. Add all the spices, lemon juice, sautéed onions and garlic and all the other veggies. Stir well and serve with lettuce leaves and pickles.

Sigara Böreği (Turkish Sigar Pastry)

Sigara boregi is a Turkish cigar shaped pastry made with feta cheese and phyllo dough. This fried pastry is perfect with coffee, but can be eaten as an appetizer or side dish.
Prep Time: 15 minutes
Cook Time: 4 minutes
Ingredients:
1 package of phyllo dough, thawed (8 oz)
1 lb. feta cheese
1/2 cup parsely
1 egg
olive oil for frying
half stick melted butter
Preparation:
In a mixing bowl, mix feta, egg, and parsley together. This is best done with a fork, mashing the feta.

Prepare oil to fry. The desired heat of the oil is 350 degrees.

While the oil is heating, remove phyllo from refrigerator. Be sure to have a damp towel on hand to cover the phyllo you are not working with. Phyllo dough dries out quickly if left uncovered.

Take one sheet of phyllo and cut into fourths. Each piece should be about 4x8. Brush each piece with melted butter. Place about 1 tablespoon of cheese mixture at the base and roll up. Seal by adding a little melted butter. Repeat with remaining phyllo and cheese mixture.

Fry in about 2 inches of oil for 2-4 minutes, or until golden brown. Use to a sieve to remove from oil. Drain on paper towel. Serve immediately.

1,521 Posts
Good stuff guys, i can cook a few Indian and Italian dishes but id really like to learn how to cook Mexican though that would be neat.
I've always wanted to try Indian food. What kinds of foods have you made?

Mexican food totally rocks. But I only know how to make guacamole and salsa at the moment :(

·
Call Me !!!!
4,066 Posts
Whats up tiff just like yanno all the run of the mill stuff like Dal (lentil curry) , Veggie Curry , Korma , Shorba (can be made with lamb, chicken whatnot) n just like chipattis, samosas n stuff i guess.

I probably sound like a housewife i know but yeah i used to work in an indian restaurant and my lil sis taught me the rest lol.

That sigur pastry n guacamole sounds good ive never tried either unfortunately.

Im guessing you took catering class at college or sumfin ?

·
Registered
14,599 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Here is a tried and true recipe for salsa that is easy to make and comes out delicious.

3 cans Hunt's roasted tomato chunks (You can also roast your own which is actually recommended but is more time consuming, I have found using this brand of canned makes little difference in the final outcome). Drain well.

4-6 tbsp chopped fresh cilantro

1/2 to 3/4 of a medium yellow onion, chopped

1 tsp minced garlic

A pinch of salt

2 tbsp vinegar

3/4 to 1 tbsp liquid mesquite flavor smoke

1/4 of a cup jalapenos You can roast your own (must have skins peeled after roasting) but be warned this can make your salsa WAY too hot. I prefer to use jarred "tamed" jalapenos to give it lots of flavor and some heat, without being over the top.

Put all ingredients in food processor. Pulse about 15 to 20 seconds. You can serve it immediately but its best when you let refrigerate for a while to let the flavors really blend.

1,521 Posts
Whats up tiff just like yanno all the run of the mill stuff like Dal (lentil curry) , Veggie Curry , Korma , Shorba (can be made with lamb, chicken whatnot) n just like chipattis, samosas n stuff i guess.

I probably sound like a housewife i know but yeah i used to work in an indian restaurant and my lil sis taught me the rest lol.

That sigur pastry n guacamole sounds good ive never tried either unfortunately.

Im guessing you took catering class at college or sumfin ?
lol, nah, The Turkish organization on campus has cooking classes like three times a semester or something so I go for the fun of it plus I know like half the turkish population on campus so I kinda feel bad if I don't go lol.

You worked in an Indian restaurant? That's pretty awesome. I bet you can cook up some d*mn good cuisine. I really wanna learn to make some Indian food myself.

You should definitely try guacamole It's not really hard to make either. Just mash up like 4-6 avocados and blend it with garlic salt, cilantro, some onion, some jalapeno pepper/juice, a little lemon to keep it from turning brown... I think that's it :con lol, sorry I can't remember exactly, but you can find an exact recpie on the internet i'm sure.

EDIT: oh yeah, and I like to chop up some tomato to put in it.

·
Call Me !!!!
4,066 Posts
That's cool id like to do some form of culinary class too that prolly sounded so gurly but you know what i mean.

I'll try guacamole this weekend , im s'pposed to be cookin for the fam so yeah fingers crossed it goes well lol.

·
Registered
14,599 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Put the chicken in and add water.
Salt pepper garlic powder and a bay leaf.
Okay, so are you putting a whole chicken in? And just water, salt, pepper and a bay leaf? That is what you are using to make the stock? Does it come out with a lot of flavor? Maybe a simpler route is better, read on to see what a chore I am making this.

I freeze what I don't eat immediately and then add other ingredients as I feel like it. noodles, veggies etc.
And when do you add the other ingredients? Maybe this is where I went wrong?

I put an entire chicken in the stock pot along with various root veggies (celery stalks and leaves, carrots, onion, asparagus ends), clumps of fresh parsley, various spices like sage, basil, oregano, and let the chicken boil for about 30 minutes in this veggie/spiced water. I removed the chicken, picked the meat off and returned the bones to the water. I let this cook and reduce for about 3 hours. I drained and strained the stock. I let it cool and skimmed some fat off the top. I then added celery, turnips, potatoes, carrots and onion, a bit of poultry seasoning, salt and pepper, dried parsley and let it cook until veggies were done. Then I added cooked and cooled brown rice.

It thickened up more than I would have liked overnight in the fridge. Maybe I added the rice too soon?

And, despite all the veggies and simmering, I still thought the stock was a little lackluster.

:fall I am not sure I will ever get this right. I like things to have lots of flavor; I dont go for bland at all.

·
Banned
3,567 Posts
Now I'm really hungry. Thanks Penny ;)

·
Retired Enforcer
19,112 Posts
Penny
I use either a whole chicken or just some legs and thigh quarters. If you cook the chicken before putting in the veggies, the flavor won't be covered up by the veggies. Also the veggies will not taste all the same. Carrots will taste like carrots, etc.

Rice should probably be added last. Remember that it will expand about 3 times and absorb a lot of the liquid. I would use no more than 1 cup of dry rice for about 6 cups of liquid. It will also absorb a lot of the salt, resulting in soup that is rather bland. If you're adding rice, the broth should taste pretty salty before adding the rice.

·
Registered
14,599 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
I cooked the rice separate and cooled it completely before adding to the soup. I found out the hard way what happens when you add it while its cooking. :lol

I think I needed to add a bit more sage and pepper to the final product. The stock actaully tasted good, just somewhat bland.

·
Retired Enforcer
19,112 Posts
What had you been feeding the chicken? That would have a definite effect.

·
Registered
1,113 Posts
I love making homemade chicken soup, I make so much that I also have to freeze some.

I use dark meat (chicken thighs usually the 8 piece) with the skin on, boil it in water until its soft enough to remove from the bone.

Usually the water boils down quite a bit, so I add about 4 cans of chicken stock, the powdered bag of onion soup mix, a couple of bullions, olive oil, lots of thyme, salt, pepper, one onion, garlic powder, chives and garlic cloves. I add about three potatoes and let it slow cook all day. I then let it sit in the refigerator over night, and then scrape off the hard fat on the top. The potatoes cooking all day and the dark meat add a lot of substance and flavor.

Also its more flavorful if you brown the onions and garlic in olive oil and then add to the mix. This has been my favorite soup for as long as I can remember, hope this helps.

1 - 20 of 412 Posts