Social Anxiety Support Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I had been a video game / MMO addict for awhile and have finally realized why I was so addicted to these games. By playing them, I was creating an alternate escape reality in my mind. Rather than focusing on my life and my goals, I was focusing on my goals in these games and was using them as an outlet for my negative thought processes in real life.

Today, I sat down and thought about it. I can be ANYTHING I want to be in this world. I can have a house with white tiled floor, an S-shaped swimming pool and a home theater. I can live a minimalist life on a tropical island sipping strawberry daiquiris next to my Hawaiian girlfriend. I can do ANYTHING. Unlike in a game, where my options are limited, there are unlimited possibilities. I can do ANYTHING, as long as I visualize my goals, stay positive and take steps to fulfill these goals.

It may sound simple, and it is. All I had to do was look around for a minute to remind myself of this. As I sat here in my parents basement, I looked around at what I saw. I see a ping pong table with a wood furnace and white carpeting. I see a flatscreen TV next to a full bar. These accommodations didn't manifest without any concrete vision. My parents said "I want to own a home", and they worked to fulfill that goal. They didn't say "I hate this apartment we live in", expecting it to improve.

The same goes for my life. My main goal is to become a successful entrepreneur and travel the world. I can see myself doing it right now. And there's nothing that's going to stop me. Tomorrow, I'm going to be one step closer to that goal, and you can too. Make the change. Decide, visualize, and execute.

·
Registered
201 Posts
It's great that you've came to this realization OP. I wish I would've realized this long ago, it sure would have paid off in many opportunities that I often turned down because I was either too anxious or depressed. I am guilty of MMO addiction as well, I don't play them so much anymore, but that was pretty much my life from 5th-7th grade, I would flake on friends just so I could play Runescape or Oblivion(Not an MMO but I was still hooked to it). Now with so many life changing opportunities coming forth to me, I pretty much had to come to this realization that I control what I want to do, no one can tell me otherwise. I realized that life is basically a book waiting to be written on, and it gave me a lot of positivity and confidence to enjoy what I want to enjoy free of anxiety and depression.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
It's great that you've came to this realization OP. I wish I would've realized this long ago, it sure would have paid off in many opportunities that I often turned down because I was either too anxious or depressed. I am guilty of MMO addiction as well, I don't play them so much anymore, but that was pretty much my life from 5th-7th grade, I would flake on friends just so I could play Runescape or Oblivion(Not an MMO but I was still hooked to it). Now with so many life changing opportunities coming forth to me, I pretty much had to come to this realization that I control what I want to do, no one can tell me otherwise. I realized that life is basically a book waiting to be written on, and it gave me a lot of positivity and confidence to enjoy what I want to enjoy free of anxiety and depression.
This is exactly how I feel. I actually had to overcome a Runescape addiction as well. The sad part is that I couldn't even admit to myself that I was addicted and that it was affecting my life because I didn't know how much better life was without it. Looking bad, I was very addicted and it has caused me many problems in my high school life. Luckily they are almost completely gone and I've never felt better from a mental standpoint.

Your analogy about the book is a perfect way to explain how I'm feeling at the moment. Being in college and about to start my life in a few years, I feel like I hold my own destiny and there are a million opportunities to choose from.

Thanks for the great response.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts