Social Anxiety Support Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
603 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Right guys, this is something I was thinking of earlier. In fact, I hope this thread can promote radical change in society and the way mental illness is viewed. I know I am getting ahead of myself already, but I feel very strong about this. It is basically to do with the media's obsession with the word ''depression'' and how this distorts and dis-educates vulnerable people on dealing with other mental illnesses - namely OCD and anxiety. The reason why I am writing about this is in the aftermath of Gary Speeds suicide last week....

In the aftermath of Gary Speeds suicide, we were greeted with countless newspaper articles with headlines such as

- ''Gary Speed dies... Was he depressed?''
- ''The silence of males in football suffering from depression''
- ''Depression... Can it hit us all?''

Etc etc etc.... None of us know why Mr.Speed took his own life and perhaps we will never know the full story. But jumping to conclusions on depression is not pragmatic when it comes to the issue of males suffering in silence with mental illnesses. People seem to be obsessed by the term depression - highlighting how little educated we are when it comes to mental illnesses. Who was to say Gary Speed didn't suffer from OCD or extreme paranoia? Why is it that people ultimately presume that when young males committ suicide, they are down in the dumps in the depression? It seems that OCD, anxiety, paranoia, are three common issues that alot of males are suffering from.... yet because ocd can be widely ignored, not even half of them know what they are suffering from.

Think of it... When was the last time we heard a hotline service ad on tv saying ''suffering from intrusive thoughts, constantly feeling paranoid, always anxious''? Nope - It always appears to be ''Feeling down in the dumps, feeling desperately alone''? It always seems to be focused on depression! Now don't get me wrong, I am well aware that ocd and depression are often inter-linked and that they complement each other.... it is a fact though, that there are a huge majority of males that are not down in the dumps, but don't feel content either and often feel extremely confused, obsessed and distressed, yet cannot figure out what's wrong with them.

The teenage boy or the young adult who is afraid that he is going to attack his parents with a knife and has to touch a door 20 times each day to make sure it doesn't happen.... the gboy who has to say sorry to someone 20 times after he's done something wrong to make sure he's forgiven and that everything's alright.... Who do they have to turn to? ''Talking about Mental illness is not viewed a sign of weakness''.... they are well aware of that, but they feel that it is not acceptable to talk about their problems as they feel that they will be viewed as ''a sign of weirdness''. Who gets what I'm saying?

I feel it is time for a change. A time for people to realise just how devastating OCD can be. A time for people to realise that a lot of people with OCD are in fact happy a lot of the time. When you see someone smiling and having a laugh one day, then killing themselves the next day, it does not mean they were necessarily putting on an act or hiding something when they were smiling and laughing that time. They could have generally felt okish and not 'down in the dumps', but there were still the underlying fears, worries, and anxiety that comes with OCD and anxiety related issues, which caused them to act in a suicidal manner.

I'm considering writing to the Samaritans and other mental health organisations, expressing my views on OCD and asking them to bring these matters into their advertisements. Wouldn't it be great if we started seeing advertisements such as ''constantly worried by distressing thoughts about harming others, always feeling the need to touch stuff 20 times, please call and we can talk''.?

I hope nobody has misinterpreted this thread. I am fully aware that depression is a serious mental illness and that many suffer in silence from it. It is a horrible place to be and I am glad that there are services reaching out for those that are in a terribly lonely place. I just hope that this thread allows people to realise that OCD is also up there with depression as a terrible, crippling mental illness and that society should start viewing them on the same level.

·
SASsy
18,100 Posts
Our society expects males to be tough and to "suck it up" when they're having problems. Anxiety/Depression is seen as a weakness, as being a "sissy". No one would call a diabetic man a sissy but they will a depressed man. I've dealt with this issue my whole life, being told to "snap out of it", "act like a man". Hopefully someday society will come to understand mental illness better and how it can affect even the most macho man out there. I think a lot of men view depression/anxiety as something only women get. I'm sure there's a lot of men out there who are depressed/anxious but are too afraid to say anything about it. I was like that for a long time.

·
Penguin
4,506 Posts
I agree that there needs to be more awareness of mental disorders other than depression - as you say, OCD and anxiety are also things that as easily lead to someone taking their life, and while they often go with depression they are distinct conditions. I think writing to organisations like the Samaritans and trying to highlight this can only be a good idea.

929 Posts
What you need to understand is that the masses is generally ignorant when it comes to virtually EVERYTHING.
They sit in front of TVs and absorb all the bullshiiit that comes out of it.
If they lack any kind of critical thinking skills at all and just believe everything the corporations/media feed them, what makes you think they are going to have the patience and understanding to want to sit down and actually LEARN about a topic?
I learned this a long time ago as a musician. Most people will just listen to whatever bulllshiiit manufactured pop music is on the radio. Taking the time to actually look for music that isn't spoon fed to them, taking the time to actually sit down and nothing but listen to music rather than just have it on in the background while they're doing something else that occupies most of their mind is not something they can be bothered doing it.

I really hate that this is the attitude of society ;
That ignorance is bliss, that everything is all fine and dandy, that you can believe anything the media/corporations feed you.

ANYONE that's prepared to listen and learn and is interested, tell them about it. Educate them. Give them an understanding of what you go through on a daily basis.
But for the rest of them, don't even bother. They don't care and are quite frankly not intelligent enough to understand.

·
Registered
1,056 Posts
Men SHOULD talk about mental illness and other problems so they can find help. People look at depression as a "female thing" since we're built differently. Just like the 1st post said, society expects men to "suck it up" and be men. If there any men that have serious mental issues, just let it out.

·
Registered
611 Posts
If you think about it, depression for females has only become "acceptable" (for lack of a better word) in the past couple decades, before that mental health and psychiatry, etc. were seen in a pretty negative light all around.

Does anyone know much about how it became more accepted? Maybe we can use what worked before and tweak it to increase awareness about other disorders and also make it more acceptable and normal for a male to be suffering from this kind of thing as well.

·
Jerk
565 Posts
I think the stigma of men talking about their feelings IRL might have everything to do with the fact that 18-25 year old men are the most active users of this forum.

·
King of Orochi's
450 Posts
This entire thread, I agree with you all.

·
S.T.A.L.K.E.R.
738 Posts
Good post. It's true, especially with anxiety disorders and OCD. People don't take them seriously enough in males. No, we can only lose control with Schizophrenia, Depression, or Psychopathy - what bull****! Thankfully most people I've told have realised the seriousness of social anxiety. Then again I only told them because I had to or because I was reasonably sure they wouldn't react too badly. I think there has been at least one person who has distanced themselves from me because I told them all that, though.

·
SAS Member
2,346 Posts
Our society expects males to be tough and to "suck it up" when they're having problems. Anxiety/Depression is seen as a weakness, as being a "sissy". No one would call a diabetic man a sissy but they will a depressed man. I've dealt with this issue my whole life, being told to "snap out of it", "act like a man". Hopefully someday society will come to understand mental illness better and how it can affect even the most macho man out there. I think a lot of men view depression/anxiety as something only women get. I'm sure there's a lot of men out there who are depressed/anxious but are too afraid to say anything about it. I was like that for a long time.
Well said! I hate gender stereotypes/roles in general and how society expects men to be tough.

·
SASsy
18,100 Posts
Does anyone know much about how it became more accepted? Maybe we can use what worked before and tweak it to increase awareness about other disorders and also make it more acceptable and normal for a male to be suffering from this kind of thing as well.
I think probably around the time Prozac first came out. Prozac was the first SSRI and it really helped a lot of people. After that, I think the media and others began to think there really is more to depression than just being emotionally weak. They began to think of it more as a biological illness rather than just something that's "just in your head".

·
Banned
2,716 Posts
There is no problem that couldn't be solved with some C4.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts