Social Anxiety Support Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Wikipedia said:
Positive feedback is a process in which the effects of a small disturbance on a system include an increase in the magnitude of the perturbation.[1] That is, A produces more of B which in turn produces more of A.[2]
People make me uncomfortable, and people see this so they treat me like I'm weird and that makes me more uncomfortable around them. It's a vicious cycle.

I doubt I'm the only one who's experienced this. How do you break the cycle? Do you pretend you're not uncomfortable, or what? I wouldn't even know how to do that. Faking confidence badly is often more awkward than just being awkward and anxious.

·
Maybe?
2,598 Posts
I've dealt with it, too. I was very isolated for awhile, but found a safe space where I was able to get a different kind of positive feedback and make some headway.

I don't know how possible it is to just pretend to not be anxious because it's a strong feeling, and part of human socialization is picking up on (consciously or otherwise) what people are feeling. Anxious behaviors can consciously be cut down on, though. One that's really uncomfortable for me to be around is people who are always apologizing and drawing attention to mistakes and flaws I hadn't even noticed just to apologize for them.

·
Registered
122 Posts
This makes so much sense. I feel like, when I was at my worst, I was able to convince people for a small while that I was "normal", but as soon as they found out what I was actually like, I would just revert into my old, weirdo behaviour, and it would go on and on in a loop :(
Even now, when I'm at the best I've ever been with my SA, I hate spending too much time one on one with people, in case I let it slip.

·
blob
1,221 Posts
yep. sounds like me
yea, faking it leads people to believe i'm fake lol. therefore creating more problems

people can tell that thats not how i am lol

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I don't know how possible it is to just pretend to not be anxious because it's a strong feeling, and part of human socialization is picking up on (consciously or otherwise) what people are feeling. Anxious behaviors can consciously be cut down on, though. One that's really uncomfortable for me to be around is people who are always apologizing and drawing attention to mistakes and flaws I hadn't even noticed just to apologize for them.
Interesting.

but found a safe space where I was able to get a different kind of positive feedback and make some headway.
What was it, if you don't mind me asking?

·
Registered
10,831 Posts
That doesn't happen to me because when I'm anxious I don't act strangely enough to cause anyone to treat me differently.

But there is a loop. For me, it's more like I get anxious about becoming anxious.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts