Social Anxiety Support Forum banner

1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Viva La Raza!
34,841 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i think most guys have heard this one. you realize something is wrong with your female partner (could be friend, girlfriend, co-worker, etc) and you ask whats wrong and she says 'nothing'. why do they say nothing when there is something wrong? wouldnt it be easier to just say whats wrong so the problem can have a resolution?

·
Registered
5,120 Posts
It could be because they don't want to talk about it or they think that talking about it wouldn't help anything.

And my ex-boyfriend told me nothing was wrong when something was, too, by the way :b, with the reason being that he wasn't ready to talk about it.

·
Banned
4,722 Posts
Most likely they don't want to talk about it. I admit I do this :b but only when I don't think talking will help, the person definitely won't understand, or I don't want to burden them.

·
Banned
5,875 Posts
It's because they feel like if you really cared, you should already be aware of what's bothering them, and it makes them mad that you aren't. Or they want you to keep asking, to show that you care. At least, that's in my experience.

·
Retired Enforcer
19,108 Posts
Dr. Emmett Brown said:
I'll devote my life to understanding that other great mystery of life. Women!
An appropriate quote.

·
subtastic
7,692 Posts
She probably doesn't want to talk about it because she's so upset that she feels it would make the situation worse.

Also, some women don't feel okay with saying what's wrong because it feels like complaining. My mother was brought up to believe that women should never complain about anything, so instead of complaining she stews silently. Any time she actually tells me what's wrong, she instantly feels guilty and apologises for complaining.

·
Registered
603 Posts
i think most guys have heard this one. you realize something is wrong with your female partner (could be friend, girlfriend, co-worker, etc) and you ask whats wrong and she says 'nothing'. why do they say nothing when there is something wrong? wouldnt it be easier to just say whats wrong so the problem can have a resolution?
No guy really wants to hear a girl go on for 20 minutes about social rivalry or whatever stupid crap is bothering her. Girls know this and although they live to drown other people in their problems, they have the 'nothing' response built in as a defense mechanism. Be thankful.

·
Registered
14,599 Posts
why do they say nothing when there is something wrong? wouldnt it be easier to just say whats wrong so the problem can have a resolution?
Same reasons guys do that I guess. I am in agreement that it would easier to just talk about it though.

But you are always saying you wished your girlfriends didnt get so attached so why even ask what is wrong? :stu

·
She-Wolf
5,985 Posts
-can't express what is bothering her
-doesn't know what is bothering her
-too personal to talk about
-too uncomfortable to talk about it
-inappropriate setting to bring up

sometimes people just aren't in the mood to open up about what is bothering them. i don't know why you think it's only with females, i have heard guys say that just as much.

i know it might be bothersome to do it all the time and i agree that talking things out might be better, but sometimes if i'm feeling very bothered or emotional about something i know that when i do try to discuss it i might just be so over charged with whatever sadness or anger or frustration that i can't have a decent or rational discussion. so i like to stand back and give me time to calm down, then i can talk about it.

·
Born Of Blotmonað
19,028 Posts
I think an initial "nothing" is an indication that a part of the persons(guy or gal) reasoning on whatever the issue may be is irrational & therefore no real constructive solution can be come to at that moment.

I also think it's instinctual to say "nothing" before you've really considered if discussing it with the person asking is a good idea which likely also ties into my above statement.

All that said if you've ask a few times & still "nothing" I have no clue what going on.

·
Registered
928 Posts
I am female and I dont know. But some good explanations! I would agree with all.
I do the typical 'NOTHING!' all the time to my partner, because I get angry that he doesnt see the damn obvious, I am really saying.. 'I am upset by... ARE YOU ****ing BLIND?'
I find most of the time I say 'nothing', I am waiting for him to comfort me anyway.. its just I am uncomfortable saying whats wrong. I hate when men walk away like they actually take your seriously. Thats when I get even more upset because they didnt read my freakin mind like they should of or seen the damn obvious! LOL.
Ohhhh and when they ask you whats wrong and THERE IS NOTHING WRONG! My partner and I do it all the time. Then we argue about the fact that there is nothing wrong. Its weird. :um

·
Registered
4,309 Posts
I am female and I dont know. But some good explanations! I would agree with all.
I do the typical 'NOTHING!' all the time to my partner, because I get angry that he doesnt see the damn obvious, I am really saying.. 'I am upset by... ARE YOU ****ing BLIND?'
I find most of the time I say 'nothing', I am waiting for him to comfort me anyway.. its just I am uncomfortable saying whats wrong. I hate when men walk away like they actually take your seriously. Thats when I get even more upset because they didnt read my freakin mind like they should of or seen the damn obvious! LOL.
Ohhhh and when they ask you whats wrong and THERE IS NOTHING WRONG! My partner and I do it all the time. Then we argue about the fact that there is nothing wrong. Its weird. :um
I have said nothing for all three of those reasons as well. Haha, the last one makes me smile.

·
Registered
928 Posts
No guy really wants to hear a girl go on for 20 minutes about social rivalry or whatever stupid crap is bothering her. Girls know this and although they live to drown other people in their problems, they have the 'nothing' response built in as a defense mechanism. Be thankful.
Are you kidding me? Are you looking for a reaction?
You have some serious opposite sex issues if you arent joking. :wife

·
Registered
928 Posts
I have said nothing for all three of those reasons as well. Haha, the last one makes me smile.
Im sure its a typical arguement in long term relationships. The great arguement of nothingness.

·
Done with SA
1,818 Posts
Guys do this, too, so it shouldn't be directed at guys about females.

Trust me..."Nothing" is what you should pray to hear. Unless you can fully understand what a woman is about to tell you.
I have to agree.
Most of the time when I say 'nothing', it means one of four things.
1. I don't want to talk about it or just don't know how to express it at that particular time.
2. I don't think you'll understand it.
3. I've tried telling you things before and you either didn't take it seriously or you made fun of it. That will stop be from telling you things, period. I've had it happen enough, I don't need to have it happen when talking to someone I'm supposedly in love with and who loves me.
4. I feel that most people don't want to hear about all the problems and feeling plaguing me, so I just say nothing. It's pretty automatic with me.

Also, some women don't feel okay with saying what's wrong because it feels like complaining. My mother was brought up to believe that women should never complain about anything, so instead of complaining she stews silently. Any time she actually tells me what's wrong, she instantly feels guilty and apologises for complaining.
Also, this. I've grown up being taught that talking about certain things, usually feelings, was just complaining. I should suck it up and not be so sensitive is what I've learned.

·
Buried at Sea
5,104 Posts
Be careful. It's a trap!

·
Banned
850 Posts
if my girlfriend did that to me id leave her the next day. if it was anyone else then nothing is the perfect answer because i really dont give a crap i was just asking because the passive "sighs" were making me feel uncomfortable. go pay a psychologist to sort out your trivial issues.

·
Après moi, le déluge
5,682 Posts
You could spin the question this way: Why is that guys always assume something is wrong when nothing is. Then when you tell them nothing is wrong, they don't believe you. What's up with that? ;)

Have a nice day,
Kelly :)

·
Viva La Raza!
34,841 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
But you are always saying you wished your girlfriends didnt get so attached so why even ask what is wrong? :stu
i've only had two girlfriends and i think i was the one that was attached with the first one.
You could spin the question this way: Why is that guys always assume something is wrong when nothing is. Then when you tell them nothing is wrong, they don't believe you. What's up with that? ;)
see auroras 1st post, 3rd sentence. or see boy who cries wolf.

1 - 20 of 39 Posts