Social Anxiety Support Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
798 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm on the path to defeating social anxiety. I'm no longer afraid of talking to people, in fact I look forward to it. I can start a conversation with a stranger. I feel like a whole new side of me has come out. I get enjoyment out of talking to people.

The one thing I've noticed is even people who don't have social anxiety can be very shy and quiet at times. For example in an elevator most people will not start a conversation first. I guess they're just introverts. I'm a natural extrovert but social anxiety has kept me from being able to be myself.

I still have a lot I need to improve on such as my confidence but I'm getting there and I will never give up.

·
ENTP with SA...How?
2,418 Posts
I know what you mean. Im a natural extrovert too, even kind of eccentric. I wonder where that line is between normal social anxiety and the anxiety we have.

Im in a cage of fear. I feel like the world should be my playground haha.

·
Registered
798 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I know what you mean. Im a natural extrovert too, even kind of eccentric. I wonder where that line is between normal social anxiety and the anxiety we have.

Im in a cage of fear. I feel like the world should be my playground haha.
A person with "normal social anxiety" won't make a big deal about social situations. They don't fear them and won't go out of their way to avoid them.

Now someone with social anxiety lives in constant fear of social situations. They will go completely out of their way in order to avoid them. Every second of there life, they are constantly terrified of embarrassing themselves in some way.

·
Flow
93 Posts
Congrats! It's liberating isn't it, when the pieces start to come together and you realize that you are capable of more than you thought possible.

Well anyone can have the propensity to be shy and quiet, with SA being this taken to an extreme. I've never related being an extrovert/introvert with SA because I view those terms with a simple definition; where you tend to get more of your energy from. I wouldn't start a conversation in an elevator, not because of SA, but because I wouldn't feel a need to. Also if we don't suppress our own behavior, you'll find that social expectations will :p

It's fantastic that you are discovering this side of yourself. Life is too short to give in, so keep blazing your own trail.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts