Social Anxiety Support Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have always had a hard time talking to people and getting to know them. I am now 20 and in my 3rd year of college and haven't had many good friends since about my senior year in high school.

About a month ago I broke up with my girlfriend of a little over a year. Things were not working out as she became very clingy and would often get mad at me hanging out with my other friends rather than her. One night she got mad that I took a friend home she texted me saying I should just go out with my friend instead. Fed up, I broke up with her that night. I tried to keep on good terms with her but every time we would hang out she would want to get back together with me and I finally stopped talking to her.

Then there is my friend who I will call Sue. Sue is VERY social. She talks to just about everyone in the place we hang out at school. She is always talking and knows everyone's names and seems to have a great time. Then there is me. I occasionally chime in with a few things but I often go unnoticed. I find it really hard to talk to people because they all know eachother well and I don't feel like I have that much in common with them. I know me being quiet does not help but I am honestly silent when they talk that its frustrating. I try to talk to Sue about this but I feel like I am more bothering her with my complaining so I do not talk to her as often as I would like.

I do have friends that I do hang out with every once in a while but like with Sue I feel like I am needy with them and want to give them space away from me. I know I have social anxiety, but now that is affecting my existing friendships is really starting to depress me. Any advice?

·
Registered
318 Posts
Its a terrible paradigm. We want to explain ourselves to the people we like the most and feel we need to justify our "different" behavior. Causing us to push them away, or us to push them away because we are afraid of being pushed away. I don't think its bad to talk about it, just don't talk about it as if its a negative thing about you. People take it as a compliment when you tell them that they help you come out of your "shell".

1 - 2 of 2 Posts