Social Anxiety Support Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
2,403 Posts
I think long-term usage of L-Dopa is at least as risky as long term (low dose) Sulpiride treatment.

·
Registered
2,403 Posts
I have to go offline now, sorry. But please read more about powerful drugs before starting self-experiments. Don't get this wrong... I was like you some years ago, but I learn't the hard way that being well informed means everything when playing psychiatrist. ;)

·
Registered
336 Posts
I have to go offline now, sorry. But please read more about powerful drugs before starting self-experiments. Don't get this wrong... I was like you some years ago, but I learn't the hard way that being well informed means everything when playing psychiatrist. ;)
lol same here... ive learned the hard way wiht everything

·
Equilibrian Epicurius
1,028 Posts
I've read the script that came with Sinemet throughoutly. The only side effects that worry me are gastrointestinal hemorrhage, blood in urine, hallucinations, hair loss, and dark sweat/urine.

Drug interactions: MOAI, Tricyclic antidepressants, antihypertensive agents, and various dopamie D2 antagonists. They don't mention SSRI or NDRI anywhere.

As for long-term side effects, I could only find one which is "Dopamine dysregulation syndrome" characterized by self-control problems such as addiction to medication, gambling, or hypersexuality.

Did I miss something?
I skimmed Wikipedia since I wasn't aware of any dangerous or toxic effects from L-Dopa use, and this was located in the article:
Some studies suggest a cytotoxic role in the promotion and occurrence of adverse effects associated with levodopa treatment. Though the drug is generally safe in humans, some researchers have reported an increase in cytotoxicity markers in rat pheochromocytoma PC12 cell lines treated with levodopa. Other authors have attributed the observed toxic effects of levodopa in neural dopamine cell lines to enhanced formation of quinones through increased auto-oxidation and subsequent cell death in mesencephalic cell cultures.

·
Registered
2,403 Posts
People with Social Anxiety Disorder already have dopaminergic dysfunction and a 5 times higher risk of developing parkinson in later life. It is known that long term treatment of (parkinson) patients with L-Dopa can lead to many problems.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Levodopa#Adverse_effects
More serious are the effects of chronic levodopa administration, which include:
http://www.pubmedcentral.nih.gov/articlerender.fcgi?artid=1476697
It is unclear if the dopaminergic dysfunction underlying social phobia and Parkinson's disease is to be understood as a biological link between both conditions. Too little is known about the neurobiology of social phobia, and evidence for a common dysfunction remains equivocal. However, in a sample of individuals with social phobia, Tiihonen et al. (1997) identified a dopaminergic dysfunction in the striatum, which also has been found to have the lowest levels of dopamine in Parkinson's disease. Some researchers have suggested that the dopamine deficiency in Parkinson's disease could lead to changes in the noradrenergic system, which in turn are associated with the development of anxiety disorders (e.g., Richard, Schiffer, & Kurlan, 1996). Further evidence that dopaminergic dysfunction may be the biological link between these conditions comes from pharmacological studies suggesting that monoaminooxidase inhibitors (MAOIs) are among the most effective drugs in social phobia, while tricyclic antidepressants have not been found effective for this condition (for a review see Blanco, Schneier & Liebowitz, 2001).

·
Registered
2,403 Posts
As you said your old regimen (150mg Sulpiride + 150mg Bupropion SR + 20mg Fluoxetine) worked really well and there was plenty of time for it to work even better I would have stayed on it.

·
Registered
2,661 Posts
If you can't order MAOIs overtly, get some kava. It contains a MAO-B inhibitor, competitive/reversible I think. This could be combined with a low dose of antipsychotic and/or bupropion and fluoxetine.

·
Registered
2,661 Posts
Thank you but I'm not taking antipsychotics again. I can combine kava with bupropion and fluoxetine, but what about a dopamine agonist? would it be a good idea if I got a dopamine agonist?
Dopamine agonists would take 2+ weeks to work (probably), unless you used really high doses. Pramipexole would work I suppose, but you'll want to be taking cholinergic supplements to prevent cognitive impairment and psychosis.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts