Social Anxiety Support Forum banner

The movie theater experience

1K views 10 replies 10 participants last post by  mike285 
#1 ·
Do you like seeing movies in a theater? Do you get annoyed by the other patrons? Do you remember the first movie you saw in a theater?

I hate seeing a movie in a crowded theater. I'm always worried that people are going to talk or annoy me. I try to pick a seat away from people. I usually see movies when they premiere so it's often a full house. I've walked out of movies because of the people around me. I believe in no talking. It takes me out of the movie.

The first movie I saw was ET, which kind of scared me.

#3 ·
I don't really care that much if I see it on TV or DVD instead of at the movies,not that I really watch many movies at all - probably once or twice a year at a theatre and only a few more on TV/DVD...

#5 ·
The theater that we usually goes to has a "free TV" night where you can go there and see your favorite current television series on the big screen. People who go to these events are choosing to be social and/or see it with an audience. I would much prefer to see a movie/television show in the comfort of my own home all things being equal.

The only reason I go to the theater is so I don't have to wait for the DVD release. There are some movies that are made for the big screen/cinematic experience. The Tree of Life comes to mind.

Do any of you have a drive-in theater nearby? That is a totally different experience. I've been to a drive-in in the last decade. It was the drive-in where they shot The Outsiders. Sadly it burned down a year or more ago. I love historic places like that. The 50s intrigue me.

#6 ·
I've never liked movie theaters because the experience is too overpowering for me. The room is dark and usually the volume is high and you can't go for potty breaks without missing the movie. I think maybe the first movie, I saw was Animal House. My parents said I loved it but apparently I didn't want to be separated from my mom. When she went to the bathroom, I freaked out on my dad, screaming for her.

#8 ·
I never liked it too much because of the other patrons who tend to talk too much or bring their annoying kids along or the person in front of me just so happens to have a giant cranium for a head and I can't see jack****.

For the most part I prefer seeing them at home or at a friend's house.

#9 ·
Sometimes I do like theaters. It's all dark with the big screen. Yes I do, like when someone starts talking or pulls out their phone I get so annoyed. I don't remember probably was like some kid movie.

Our theater kind of sucks sometimes the sound sucks and it is freezing in there. Some people can be annoying. I also hate crowded theaters and don't like when people sit close to you. And people need to stay off their phones.

#10 ·
I only go to the theater for films I really want to see and I usually try to go as early as possible when there are less people and there are usually others by themselves as well. When I go at night I feel awkward because there are lots of younger people with their friends, so not only do I feel weird about being there alone, but as you said theres a lot more talking going on during the movie.

#11 ·
I love going to movie theaters. There's a huge screen, it's dark, and I can eat movie theater popcorn, which is awesome. It is annoying though when you end up sitting close to someone or another group of people that are noisy or make obnoxious comments, but that hasn't happened to me often. I haven't been to the movies since like summer, since no good movies have really come out. I don't know how people go to movie theaters alone though, I don't think I could ever do that.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.