Social Anxiety Support Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
138 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Has anyone read this book?? it's AMAZING!!! I just bought the first book today, not much of a reader, but heard it was good. I could not put it down!!! I spent 6 hours in my room reading it and I have a few more chapters left, I just can't believe how good it is!! going to buy the other 2 in the trilogy tomorrow. Can't wait for the movie in march too!!!
What do you guys think of it??

·
anxious geek
1,315 Posts
I love The Hunger Games! The next movie franchise to be looked down upon for being popular with a younger audience. :no

·
Registered
51 Posts
I read the first one simply because I wanted to read the book prior to seeing the movie. I liked the first one but I really didn't fall in love with "The Hunger Games" series until book two. Personally, I think "Catching Fire" is the best of the three. But as a full series it's wonderful and I am now anxiously awaiting the movie.

·
Top 5 Poster
6,051 Posts
Just finished reading it the last 7 hours. ONce i started couldnt turn off the laptop, even though it gave me a headache

Best book ive read since stephen kings the stand

·
alien love gardener
3,526 Posts
I love The Hunger Games! The next movie franchise to be looked down upon for being popular with a younger audience. :no
I hope it doesn't get torn apart by adults like Twilight does. Twilight had some terrible messages and was badly written. The Hunger Games isn't literature but it's definitely far better than Twilight. And they've got some good actors involved.

I'm rereading the first book at the moment. :D

·
SAS member
885 Posts
Yeah, it's great.

I was going through the trilogy so fast that I tried not reading so much just so I could read it longer, if you know what I mean...

·
Top 5 Poster
6,051 Posts
Yeah, it's great.

I was going through the trilogy so fast that I tried not reading so much just so I could read it longer, if you know what I mean...
Catching fire and Mockingjay were not as good as the original, the Original was a masterpiece. The followup books, i felt, took too much away from the charachters and made her more, secondary.

There was also a lack of fluency to the other two books. Haymitch is a drunk, now he is a mastermind behind a rebellion. I felt the charachters were betrayed away from their original innocence. I just hate transformations like that, because in real life we rarely are able to change so drastically.

Mockingjay was the least enjoyable of the three, as there was not even a hunger games in it. The whole addition of all the side charachters took a lot of fun out of Catching Fire, with like ten of them being around.

The best part of hunger games was when she gets her bow and arrow. Then you know it was on

·
SAS member
885 Posts
Yeah, it's great.

Catching fire and Mockingjay were not as good as the original, the Original was a masterpiece. The followup books, i felt, took too much away from the charachters and made her more, secondary.

There was also a lack of fluency to the other two books. Haymitch is a drunk, now he is a mastermind behind a rebellion. I felt the charachters were betrayed away from their original innocence. I just hate transformations like that, because in real life we rarely are able to change so drastically.

Mockingjay was the least enjoyable of the three, as there was not even a hunger games in it. The whole addition of all the side charachters took a lot of fun out of Catching Fire, with like ten of them being around.

The best part of hunger games was when she gets her bow and arrow. Then you know it was on
I have to agree with you on that completely.

·
Registered
5,505 Posts
I'll give the author credit for knowing how to hook the reader in as I read it from start to finish in a single day marathon reading session, but I can't say it was an amazing book. It was entertaining, for sure, but the story and characters were pretty predictable, and the most of the characters weren't very multifaceted and didn't really develop all that much.

Don't get me wrong, I liked it (I read it in a single sitting after all), it was just simple. The story arc basically went introduction: Check out how badass and self sufficient this girl is, plot point 1: Badass girl will now have to fight for her life, training montage, fighting, plot point 2: (made tiny and in white font because it is sort of a spoiler so avoid it if you don't to see it) omg two boys love me! What do I do?!, and to be continued. I honestly enjoyed the world itself a lot more than the characters.

·
Registered
154,235 Posts
My stepmom is reading the books - she told me a bit about it. It sounds interesting.
Right now, I ahve bunch of other books I am reading, though.

·
Registered
112 Posts
I just got the book today! Definitely had to read the book before watching the movie. I'll share my thoughts after I finish reading. :)

·
Optimism Prime~
7,122 Posts
Just finished reading it the last 7 hours. ONce i started couldnt turn off the laptop, even though it gave me a headache

Best book ive read since stephen kings the stand
Funny you should say that, it's been described by a lot of people as Stephen King meets Battle Royale ;) I really enjoyed reading it myself, it has such amazing flow from one page to another, I can't remember anything quite like it.

·
Abendfuchs
1,357 Posts
I don't get why it's often compared to Twilight, they're pretty different. Hunger Games can actually be enjoyed by older adults and males.

·
Registered
5,505 Posts
I don't get why it's often compared to Twilight, they're pretty different. Hunger Games can actually be enjoyed by older adults and males.
Not to mention that the main character in Twighlight is a spoiled helpless girl vs. Hunger Games where the main character is an extremely poor girl that not only takes care of herself, but her family. Actually, the first book is extremely similar in it's basic premise to Battle Royal like Paper Samurai said, except that Battle Royal (or at least the English translation I read) was terribly edited and written (tons of typos anyways, I didn't mind the story). Battle Royal did have much better combat imo though.

·
Registered
2,220 Posts
I just finished the first book and I really loved it. Read it in two days..could've read it in a single day, but the beginning was a little slow moving IMO and I have a short attention span. Once I neared the halfway mark, I couldn't put it down.
I can't wait to see the movie and I hope it lives up to the book. I've just bought the second and third book and looking forward to reading them as well.

·
Kasumi Utako
407 Posts
I've already read the trilogy last year, and what I can say is that the first two books are awesome. That's right, only the first two books. The last one is a complete disaster. Seems to me like Collins had a deadline to beat when she did the story for Mockingjay so she just wrote things that first popped into her head and bam, we got a really bad conclusion for what could have been an epic novel series. That's just my opinion, though.

Anyway, it's good to know that the release date for the Hunger Games movie is also my birthday (March 23). A day in the theater would be a perfect way to give myself a birthday treat.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts