Social Anxiety Support Forum banner

The gym..

2K views 16 replies 14 participants last post by  Oppilolik 
#1 ·
Unsure whether it's the right section..

I feel the need to join the gym, I've got a bit of a beer belly coming along (although probably more of an orange juice belly as I don't drink), but I'm too scared to ask. It's the thought of having no pride as other people look at you and laugh because you're unfit. Sometimes it's not a case of scared to be social, but just generally going out of the house and being on show doing something you wouldn't normally do and no clue on how well you would do it. :(

Has anyone had/conquered this fear?

#3 ·
going the gym is one of those things were you are nervous beforehand but once you get there yourealise you were being stupid and it isnt that bad

just listen to your ipod to distract yourself and you'll be fine.

ive spotted other SA people in the gym. i notice them looking all nervous and actually glancing oer to me to check if im judging them or whtever and i just thinkt myself ''mn there is absolutely no need for you to feel that way , nobody is even bothered about you ''

#4 ·
No one will laugh at you. In fact, if someone did, it'd likely be quickly enforced by other members of the gym and make that person feel like a douche. Everyone who goes to the gym had to start out at some point, most of those fits people were once in your shoes. A gym is that just, a gym. Most people just want to work out alone to get and stay in shape. You have to learn, it's simply part of the process. No one can start out and be perfect.

Go and stick with it, the same thing that you'll think would be laughing at you will be offering you kudos.

#5 ·
I have slowly been able to conquer this fear. I joined the gym in March. At first, I just did walking on the treadmill or doing the stationary bike because I felt like those wouldn't draw attention to myself. But you'll start to see that everyone's on their ipod and sweating all over the place, so you won't look weird at all. I even go to the group classes now, because it's easy to hide in the crowd and follow the teacher's instructions. The only thing that's still hard for me is using the weight machines, because I feel self conscious if I don't know how to use it. So I try to use a new one each time to conquer that fear. Overall, the gym is really fun!!

#6 ·
Just do it. People in gyms are too caught up in their own excercise routine to care what you're doing or what you look like. Seriously, when people are huffing, puffing, and sweaty and trying to squeeze out that last rep or those last 15 minutes on a machine, that last thing they care about is what you look like. My gym has all different types of people, young, old, overweight, fit, etc.

Like another poster said, just start off small. Go in for five minutes on a treadmill, then the next day do 10 minutes, then the next day add something else....just keep building up your confidence each time until your doing a full routine. Better yet, get a personal trainer for a day or two, have them show you how to use everything, that will give you confidence that you know what you're doing. (The ones I've worked with are really nice and will make you feel like you belong).

Another thing that helped me in the gym was having a routine (set of goals) each time I went in that I believed in. I found that if I focused 100% on that goal (maybe doing 15% more weight or reps than I did last time) that I don't think much at all about the SA. The goal becomes more important to me than worrying about the anxiety. Plus I know in the long run that going to the gym can only help my anxiety. It's a win win.

#14 ·
Like another poster said, just start off small. Go in for five minutes on a treadmill, then the next day do 10 minutes, then the next day add something else....just keep building up your confidence each time until your doing a full routine.
i had to do the opposite of this. ^ working out in front of other people has actually been really good for me, because i'm so nervous about being judged on my fitness that i push way harder than i have to and run longer on the treadmill than i would if i were alone.

just take your ipod with you, and do as much as you're comfortable with. most of the other people will be listening to their own music or reading anyway, so nobody will even notice you most likely.

#7 ·
I know when im at the gym I am too busy working out to care about who else is in there....and people really care if your at the gym they have other things on there mind. If I did see someone out of shape at the gym I would be happy for them that they are working out and not look at them negatively. If you keep going to the gym continuously they will see your body change and improve...when I see that I am secretly proud of them.

#8 ·
Thanks guys, a lot of positive words here! I just rang the gym but their "membership team" aren't in 'til Monday so I'll call them then. :) I've always felt exercise was the best way to keep your mind off things and just concentrate on what's good in you for once, rather than the bad. I just always had the image of "You've got to be one of us to fit in", and a load of muscle guys laughing at your little belly swaying all over the place, now I know the only thing they'll laugh at is my curly hair bouncing around whilst on the treadmill. :D

#9 ·
The gym I used to go too had all sorts of people with all differing fitness levels and the gym instructors I had made me feel very comfortable with being in the gym, I am quite a fit lad so it wasn't as daunting for me, but I was still nervous going to the gym because of my SA.

You will be fine though when you go a couple of times and get the feel for it.

#10 ·
I haven't conquered this fear yet, but then I don't think I'd be in to going to a gym to workout. I use Tae Bo dvd's and a few others to workout to, I've been getting into shape and losing weight at home.

#12 ·
Glad you're going to phone them :)

I conquered the fear and it's been really good for me. I joined last September and it's helped me lose weight and improve my confidence. Still got loads more to lose and I'm still too anxious to ask for help as I'm in a bit of a gym rut but maybe soon. I was so nervous the first time I went but the gym has actually become of a bit of a sanctuary for me. It's somewhere to go which isn't my house and the time I spend there is all beneficial to my health and well being.

:)

#13 ·
Last semester, I paid $100 to join the gym, but I never went. >_< I want to exercise because I feel myself putting on weight, but I'm scared to go because I'd feel embarrassed having people look at me and I don't know how to use anything. I'd be so aimless and look stupid. The main exercise I'd like to do is just walking, but even with that... anxiety. >_<

#15 ·
I should also add that it helps to buy a personal training session and ask them to teach you how to use the machines. It really built up my confidence to be able to walk right into the gym and know how to use the equipment. That way, I didn't have to fumble with anything.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.