Social Anxiety Support Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I went to the grocery store today to pick up like 2 items, and it was unusually crowded and busy. My anxiety was really going through the roof. There were people everywhere I turned. I had this strange feeling overcome me. It felt like I didn't belong there, and I asked myself "Why did I even come?" It was an awful feeling, I almost decided to put the stuff back on the shelf and just leave the market. There were a couple of people who were conversing with each other and they suddenly stopped talking when I walked past them. The only thought that went through my mind is that I am so uncomfortable and under so much stress that it is showing through my face. I forced myself to stand on the huge line, and I was actually hyperventilating. I began breathing fast and my heart was racing. All the people on line were so close to me. I was begging god to not break out into tears. I managed to buy the stuff and leave the store, but I did (mentally) beat myself up as I left. I called myself a moron, incapable of life. I tell myself "If you can't even buy stuff at the grocery store, how will you ever do anything?" It makes me very scared and upset at the same time.

·
Registered
10,616 Posts
I avoid going to stores when they are busy. I always try to go early in the morning to beat the crowds. It is going to be extra bad this week due to being the first of the month. Every Tom, Dick, and Harry will be in town shopping. It is what as known by the locals here, "Copper Country Payday." That is when the retirees get their social security checks. They all come into town here to do all their shopping. I try to avoid going to the stores when this happens. They always stand in the middle of the aisles talking with each other blocking them with their carts. They also have to bring tons of coupons so it takes forever for them to get through the check out lane. They also insist balancing there freakin checkbook right there. They even do this in the express lanes. I don't know why they allow people to write checks in the express lanes? Back home they only took cash in the express lanes.

·
Registered
1,196 Posts
That is one thing I have hated for a long time, the dreaded grocery store. I will absolutely avoid it as much as possible. Too many people, limited amount of space for my major claustrophobia, and like you mentioned above, people with their carts blocking the aisles. What gets me is everytime I have to get a particular item, there is a person AT EXACTLY THE SAME SPOT where I need that item. I will pretend I am looking at other things, and watch that person out of the corner of my eye. About 2 weeks ago, I wanted ice cream and this woman was right where I needed to be, and she takes 5 minutes to decide what kind she wants. 5 minutes, no exaggeration.
I hate waiting in the checkout line, and if I get a chance to quicken the process, sometimes there are a lot of people, and an employee will open a station with the "I can take someone over here", and I make a beeline for that cash register.
Also, I try to go in the middle of the night with less people there.

·
dazed and confused
960 Posts
OMG I hear you. I've felt like that a lot when I go shopping. On at least 2 occasions, I've felt so scared and stressed out standing in line that I just left the cart and left the store. That made me feel like an absolute idiot. Sometimes, after incidents like that, I would be hating on myself so much that I would go home and cut myself. I don't SI much anymore, but the feeling of frustration is still there. I guess we need to try not to be so tough on ourselves. We do have a legitimate disorder, and we have to cope as best we can.

I'm sorry you were feeling like that. Just wanted to let you know you aren't alone.

·
Registered
75 Posts
I've felt like that before. You should try hours when it's not too crowded. At some times there are hardly anyone at all and no lines to wait in. Plan a day to check every hour to see which is the best time. Don't go around Christmas etc cos it'll definitely be crowded.

·
Loser
207 Posts
Oh yeah, the grocery store. On monday I bought potato chips at the gas station for the double in order to avoid going to the grocery. Back in the days it wasn't such a big problem except for the line and check out but now I'm total paranoid in the whole store.

·
blessed with lucky sevens
840 Posts
I only go to the supermarket late at night when I know it's not very busy and also, as soon as people at the counter start getting to know me I stop going to that store.
It's much easier to be face to face with a stranger than a person who's seen you come to the shop heaps of times and wants to have a chat with you.

·
Registered
225 Posts
I always say something stupid to the cashier, like once the dude said how are you, and I said how are you back at him with a loud retarded voice...

·
Registered
179 Posts
i know how you feel...its hard for me to go anywhere..and i agree with people that said its easier to go to stores where the people that work there don't know you...i avoid places where i might see somebody that i know..and i take a different route home most of the time because i don't want to see anyone i know

·
Registered
1,196 Posts
The grocery store is just one component of my avoidance personality. Yes, if I see someone I know, I will go out of my way to avoid having to talk to them. In fact, I go out of my way to avoid people as much as I can on a daily basis.

·
trying to heal
100 Posts
wow, dont beat yourself, cause you should congratulate urself to even be capable of going to the groceries! so CONGRATS!! i can't even go to a grocery or anywhere, i have tried but i just stay in the car crying and get back to my home. Its terrible, but be glad u fight it out. ;-)

·
Registered
1,196 Posts
I am sorry about your sadness. I know that you have to get out in the world to take care of certain things, but home has always been my "comfort zone", and I know that sometimes getting out of that is necessary. However, I have been so much of an "inside person" my whole life, its the only thing that I am comfortable with. That way noone can hurt me.

·
Meow Meow Meow
141 Posts
wow, dont beat yourself, cause you should congratulate urself to even be capable of going to the groceries! so CONGRATS!! i can't even go to a grocery or anywhere, i have tried but i just stay in the car crying and get back to my home. Its terrible, but be glad u fight it out. ;-)
Same I was thinking. I can't go to the grocery until I really have no other choice.

·
Registered
746 Posts
Not a big fan of the grocery store, but I actually like it better when it's busy. It's like being part of the machinery...

Who loves automated checkouts?

·
In my shiny bubble
2,428 Posts
I have just started going/walking down to my local Netto a couple of times a week that is only a few miles from where I live on my own without my mum. It gets me out of the house and gets some confidence being on my own, paying for stuff on my own and looking for food on my own. And i have pets, guinea pigs which need veggies so that gets me out.
I think 'If i don't go out and get them veggies, they will keep squeaking for food.' so if you have a reason to go out then its better and makes you motivated to go.

There is a secondary school over the road from the supermarket and about 12 or 1 0'clock ish that's when they come out to break/lunchtime and they come into the store to get some food to eat. I always feel more anxious around teenagers specially if they are really laughing loud types.
The queues can be long when the teenagers line up. I just wait round looking at foods and products til the queues die down then I quickly go over to the nearly empty cashier if i have something to pay for.
I try to go about 10, 10.30 or 11 ish when i feel it is quiet.

·
Registered
1,125 Posts
I WORK in a grocery store and still have problems with this. I'll only grab one or two things after work and rush through the self checkout, but no way will I ever grab a basket or cart with how many people are around. I'd be absolutely freaking out the entire time.

The only time I go is 1 or 2 hours before closing. Pathetic, I know, but at least it allows me to get what I need while avoiding the anxiety at the same time.

·
Registered
16 Posts
I don't know if i belong here but i get nervous when there's only me in a shop. I feel more comfortable when there a more shoppers but still I feel uncomfortable.

·
Registered
928 Posts
I just got back from the grocery store.
I find grocery shopping totally intimidating. I knew I was going to forget a few things. I went through every isle twice. But thought there was just too many choices! I cannot buy meat (that intimidates me) so I leave that to my bf, have you seen those pasta isles? there is so many different types its ridiculas trying to decide! It completely took over me, so I left with what I had.. which wasnt much, just the essential everyday items like bread milk eggs toothpaste toilet paper.. and hey.. I spend 150 bucks.. on nothing great!
I actually spent 10 minutes before I got to the check out, arranging the items into order, so I didnt look like an idiot trying to figure out what goes in what bag in the check out.
I hate grocery shopping! I know my partner is going to ask what I bought when he gets home.. and well.. hes going to be disappointed. LOL.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts