Social Anxiety Support Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My 18th is at the end of the year, but I reckoned I should mentally plan it in advance to some extent. I'm not good friends with many people, though I know a good number of people through college classes. Holding a decent 'cool' 18th birthday party is the norm, but I would feel really awkward inviting people that I only half-know. Another thing is: I've never held a proper party other than little restaurant events. I'm kind of concerned about how I'm going to tackle this thing - any people with experience on holding one that seemed fairly socially acceptable?

(I don't like conforming, but as soon as someone hears that you're 18, they expect that you're going to do something incredible or at the very least something that would be deemed a 'good night out'. In the area of 'good nights out', I'm slightly clueless.)

·
Registered
179 Posts
my 18th is coming up soon too ! i wish i could give you a good party idea to do with friends...but im probably just going to go out with family

·
Registered
101 Posts
mine 18th bd is in a week. i'm just going to a restaurant with my family. that's a little bit sad... :no

·
SAS Member
31,286 Posts
My 18th was nothing special so I don't have any insight. I guess what you could do is just throw it out there to the people you know, even if you don't know them very well, and see if they seem interested. It would be a good way to get to know those people better if they do come.

·
Protector of the Den
15,048 Posts
I spent my 18th birthday alone, suffering after having my wisdom teeth removed. I didn't have a graduation party either, because my dad talked me out of it.

My 21st birthday was better. I went with some family and friends to Pizza Hut. That doesn't sound like what you are looking for though.

·
Registered
54 Posts
I never saw the big deal of becoming 18, and it seems like you don't either. Ask yourself this first:

Is this party for you, or are you just trying to impress people? If this isn't something you're going to have fun over, it doesn't really sound much like a celebration, now, does it? I've held a lot of parties before, and I don't ever recall enjoying any of them because I was too dang busy worrying about everything and everyone that I didn't have a chance to loosen up and just enjoy myself.

In hindsight, I would have enjoyed gathering my closest friends together and done something meaningful that I would have remembered as a great memory instead. Oh, and none of those big parties ever made me popular or anything of the sort, they just made people use me for parties.

If you still want to go ahead with it, first point is the hype. Get some invitations going around, or spread the word, which will require friends on your part. After the hype is set up, people will be anticipating a great party. I have no idea what your budget is, but some basics are:

-Be able to dedicate a large amount of space to the party, transportation if there will be multiple locations.
-Have popular music at all times, or a DJ.
-Good food, and lots of it. If you are planning on having alcohol, that in itself will already entertain anyone attuned to it.
-Flashy decorations.
-Have ready entertainment that guests are able to entertain themselves with without your accompaniment. Depending on your budget, this could range from video games and movies to pool tables and a swimming pool.
-In addition to the passive entertainment, plan an event, depending on the theme of your party. There's also more out of the box themes like a boat ride party or something.

Hope that helps. Just remember: enjoy it. It's YOUR birthday.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts