Social Anxiety Support Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
You can do this!
4,464 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a copy. :) I do like it, I don't like it quite as much as the canonical gospels though.

·
Registered
314 Posts
enchanted sky, if you liked The Gospel of Thomas, here are a couple of books that I'm sure you will enjoy. Very thought provoking. The thought has often occurred to me: What might our world be like if the Gnostics had prevailed, rather than the Roman Church?

The Other Bible

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/de ... 9?v=glance

One review of this book:

Enlightening look at History/Development of Western Religion, July 20, 2001
Reviewer: David Elder (Pacifica, CA USA) - See all my reviews
This is a wonderfull compendium of Gnostic, Hermetic and non-cannonical Judeo-Christian scriptures. You will find selected chapters and passages from a ubiquitous array of ancient texts influenced by many faiths and philosophies.
Among other things, this book introduces you to:

-- The origin of the fallen angels and levels of heaven and hell (Book of Enoch et al) later depicted by Dante and Blake.

-- The Nag Hammadi Gonstic texts

-- The Hermetical texts

-- The Manachean texts

-- The Mystical texts of the Dead Sea scrolls and Kaballah

-- Strange Gnostic Christian beliefs from Simon Magus to the almost Satanic Cainites.

-- The complete 'Q'-sourced Gospel of Thomas

-- The Infancy Gospels of Christ

One of my favorite selections, The Infancy Gospel of Thomas, reminded me of the Jerome Bixby SF Classic "It's a Good Life." with little Jesus terrorizing the town (wishing bad people away).

You will clearly understand after reading this book just how hetergeneous the early Christian communities really were in their beliefs. In fact, the earliest beliefs seem more Gonstic in flavor than they later came to be with the establishment of the Roman Church.

I would highly recommend this book to both the scholar and faithfull alike. For the former, it offers a look at the hisotry and development of Western religion and philsophy through original source material, while to the latter, the origin of some widely held notions, particularly about Heven and Hell, can be found here.

Was this review helpful to you? (Report this)
The Lost Books of the Bible and the Forgotten Books of Eden (Paperback)

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/de ... 8&v=glance

One review of this book:

Good, but be sure to read the introductions to each book, January 26, 2003
Reviewer: Minneserenity "karmal64" (Minnesota) - See all my reviews
Liking or not liking these books has nothing to do with one's sociopolitical ideologies. As one reads the introductions of each book, clearly some have more credibility than others. Some were acutally canonical and then later were not--just like the Catholic and Protestant versions of the Bible differ by both not having all the same books. Does that make one "evil" and the other not? Of course not. Yet one cannot help but wonder what the rationales were how a book can be canon and then not. I mean, let's face it: Something is either the word of God or it isn't just like fire is hot and rain is wet. Thus some things just are, and they are not open to a popularity vote.
Along with this book I'd highly recommend "Mystical Life of Jesus" by H. Spencer Lewis. It will make some of the passages in Lost Books of the Bible more clear and provide a context since otherwise you end up reading this book in a vacuum accepting many of the popular assumptions about Jesus and His life and times perhaps without even being aware of it thus having your perceptions distorted. At all times think for yourself.

Was this review helpful to you? (Report this)

1 - 2 of 2 Posts