Social Anxiety Support Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
RON PAUL 2012
142 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was wondering if anyone has read the Gospel of Judas?
If you are an avid bible reader I really recommend you check it out at least
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gospel_of_Judas

It definitely makes you think a little more about how to interpret the New Testament...why most of the gospels were rejected..many were written, few were chosen... Just so much to debate and confront now that I've read this... makes me think more about Gnostic Christianity a lot more ,too. why did a few church men get to decide that it (gnosticism) was heresy and nobody knows about it today, when it was among the first teachings of christianity... hmm

·
Skeletal wreck of man...
1,492 Posts
I wouldn't put too much stock into the Gospel of Judas. It's more than likely a nice work of fiction that didn't get completely destroyed for being heretical.

·
RON PAUL 2012
142 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I wouldn't put too much stock into the Gospel of Judas. It's more than likely a nice work of fiction that didn't get completely destroyed for being heretical.
But what makes you think this? why is it less important than the Gospels we have in the bible?

·
Credible Hulk
1,775 Posts
But what makes you think this? why is it less important than the Gospels we have in the bible?
Most Biblical scholars believe that the Gospel of Judas was written much later than the rest of the New Testament. That's not to say that the text is worthless to Christian thought--the unique Gnostic philosophy within provides fascinating contrast with mainstream Christian thought--but all of the Gnostic Gospels are pretty far removed from the source material, both chronologically and in terms of substance and writing style.

·
OMG
237 Posts
The Gospel of Judas is very enlightening. Check out the Gospel of Mary Magdalene, too.

·
MBTI: INFJ Enneagram:4w5
2,192 Posts
The fact of the matter is, they are not inspired writings and quite often the content goes against Scripture, which is one reason why they were not included in the Bible to begin with. Gnosticm has nothing to do with Christianity. Nothing. It is a philosophy that says that the human body in and of itself is evil and that we should not do anything for pleasure. While God would not want us to fritter our lives away doing everything for ourselves, He created some things partially for human pleasure, such as sex within the context of marriage. Gnosticm would have us believe that sex in and of itself is inherently evil and created by Satan.

No, Gnostic works only serve to confuse believers. Stay far away.

That said, I have read some of these documents so that I know what they say. However, I also have studied at Bible school for four years (nothing BUT Bible!) They are not compatible to Christian faith in any way.

·
RON PAUL 2012
142 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Many of them were not included because they went against certain views that certain disciples of Jesus had about what Scripture should be. It's not that they went against Scripture. They went against what some people wanted Scripture to be. What they wanted Christianity to be.
EXACTLY, Man chose what "scripture" was going to be. There were so many divine writings written but only a few were hand picked by some people, those people thought the books they chose were the best writings describing how they perceived Christianity. They could have easily not have chosen MARK or LUKE and because they would not be in the Bible, they wouldn't be taken serious.

·
Registered
4,488 Posts
I read the apocrypha but when I read sayings of Jesus and or Judas it doesn't fit them for some reason. There would be a reason why those books weren't included in the Bible. But it's interesting nevertheless.

·
Registered
878 Posts
Gnosticism goes against the teachings of The Bible that are strange doctrines alien to the Scriptures. Some early church fathers wrote against and combated Gnosticism in the early centuries. Gnostics in the early centuries twisted Scripture to their own liking to support their strange doctrines. Many of them wrote books under the names of the Apostles such as the Gospel of Judas, Mary, Peter etc. Check out Irenaeus of Lugdunum, Eusebius, Tertullian and a few other early church fathers that defended the faith against Gnosticism. Although these writings are false, they do give you an idea of what Gnostics believed at the time.

·
Freak of nature
555 Posts
Those extra gospels I believe are nothing more than lies. There are some books mentioned in the bible. I do believe if they were meant to be in it, they would be. There is one gospel that says Jesus killed someone...I mean really.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts