Social Anxiety Support Forum banner
261 - 270 of 270 Posts

·
I Am Second
58,061 Posts
I could personally think of a lot of emergency's that could come up where $500 would not be enough. Car repair more then that, unexpected medical or vet bills. House repair. Have to miss work for some reason. Lots of things can go wrong.
No lol when I say cash I mean on hand no banks. Like money I would need if couldn't reach local bank or didn't have card. So $500 cash then 2k local bank and 10k emergency fund online bank.

·
Registered
1,598 Posts
No lol when I say cash I mean on hand no banks. Like money I would need if couldn't reach local bank or didn't have card. So $500 cash then 2k local bank and 10k emergency fund online bank.
Got yea. That makes much more sense, Although I dont normally carry anywhere near that much cash around. Guess i would be screwed if the Banks were all closed and the ATM system went down!

·
I Am Second
58,061 Posts
Got yea. That makes much more sense, Although I dont normally carry anywhere near that much cash around. Guess i would be screwed if the Banks were all closed and the ATM system went down!
Haha yeah. Just never know when you might be somewhere and their card readers are down etc.

·
Barbells and kittens
3,904 Posts
Took advantage of some cash back offers and promotions recently.

My Wells Fargo credit card sent me an email with a promotion where you got a one time 10% cash back on one purchase up to $400 at a grocery store and the same offer at a gas station. So spent $400 at Kroger the weekend before last. Surprisingly difficult actually, groceries came up to around $360 and got a $40 gift card for Kroger with the rest. The gas station I ended up going mostly Amazon gift cards that I'll use eventually anyway. So got $80 back on that $800 spent.

The second one was two promos from The Celsius Network. One was to refer someone and them depositing a small amount of crypto to their new account. So I referred my wife and sent her some Bitcoin. We each got $40 in Bitcoin for that. The second was put $400 in any crypto and hold for six months to get $50 in Bitcoin. So with what I sent her for the first promo counted for hers and I then sent myself some that I already had elsewhere anyway. So that will be an additional $50 each for holding Bitcoin I was going to hold anyway. Plus 6% APY on all of it during that time. So $80 for us now and another $100 in six months.

So feeling good about coming out $260 ahead on these deals, even with having to wait awhile on the last $100.

So I went to Rural King earlier today and using the card with the recent cash back rewards I bought three 5 gallon gas cans. Every night at work I drive to a neighboring state where gas is about $0.50 cheaper per gallon. Been planning on doing this for awhile anyway, with gas going up so much now is a good time. I figure we use something like 20-25 gallons a week. So could potentially save $40-50 a month on gas this way.

Also a couple months ago one of my credit cards offered a $45 credit if you signed up for a Sam's Club membership (costs $45) with it. At the time Sam's was also giving a $45 gift card for new members. So I did that and also signed up for the Sam's Club credit card because it has 5% cash back at all gas stations up to $6000 a year. So that will be my new card for gas. Should easily end up with a couple hundred dollars a year in cash back at that rate.

Found out last week they're letting us keep the extra work, so won't be losing out on that. Still been trying to save where I can. Also recently found out my Verizon plan includes Hulu, so was able to get that switched over where I'm not paying for it anymore.

·
Registered
1,946 Posts
I switched last fall from AT&T which was $82 per month, to Mint, which costs $36, huge cost savings and I haven't had any issues with going over on data or anything. Also I got a new iPhone and didn't have to pay for it separately like most prepaid. So I think it's a great deal. My dad has Cricket which is $45 a month but I felt like Mint was worth a try and I've been happy with it.

Also I'm debating to pay my car off or wait. I owe $6000 on it which I can pay off but the payment is only $200 a month at a really low rate and I kind of like having the money in savings better. But if I move out I'd rather have it paid off so I have more left each month.

·
Registered
118 Posts
I switched over to my cable provider Xfinity new plan a few years ago. I am pretty sure they use the Verizon backbone. I only pay $14 a month, they give free text and calls and charge you $14 for every gig of data you use. I have never used that much data I prefer to use a computer to do everything, as long as I don’t watch youtube videos on my phone/ at least when I am not connected to Wi-Fi I have never gone over like 600MB a month.

·
Registered
1,598 Posts
Also I'm debating to pay my car off or wait. I owe $6000 on it which I can pay off but the payment is only $200 a month at a really low rate and I kind of like having the money in savings better. But if I move out I'd rather have it paid off so I have more left each month.
I was in the same situation as you with a car. I went ahead and paid it off. It will save you money on the interest and free up $200 a month to begin rebuilding your savings. As long as you are confident about not losing your job or income I would highly suggest paying it off. Worked well for me. Have not had a car payment in about 5 years now and it allowed to save up that money to put down on a new car when I am ready to purchase

·
I Am Second
58,061 Posts
I switched last fall from AT&T which was $82 per month, to Mint, which costs $36, huge cost savings and I haven't had any issues with going over on data or anything. Also I got a new iPhone and didn't have to pay for it separately like most prepaid. So I think it's a great deal. My dad has Cricket which is $45 a month but I felt like Mint was worth a try and I've been happy with it.

Yeah I heard someone switched to mintmobile and only pays $15 a month.

·
I Am Second
58,061 Posts
Net worth should top 14k soon, still long ways to go but just a year ago I was in the negative.

Reactions: extremly

·
Banned
13 Posts
Maybe it is a mistake but I honestly don't carry much cash with me. Used to have some when I went on a local food market but even there now everyone has a card reader. The only thing I do, I have different credit cards for different types of expenses. This way I also secure myself in case one card is blocked or lost. I had the situation like that only once and bank of america customer service solved it actually super quickly.

261 - 270 of 270 Posts