Social Anxiety Support Forum banner
241 - 260 of 270 Posts

·
Barbells and kittens
3,904 Posts
Oh ok your a car guy who likes to collect cars. Good hobby. Are the cars you have going down in value as they age or are they investment cars that will go up in value the longer you keep them? If they are going down in value I would get rid of them and get the money. If they are going down in value your wasting money keeping them for something you are not even driving
One will go up, the others will hold their value more than most. Everything gets driven occasionally, just don't want to rack up miles daily driving. That's what the beater is for. It's actually pretty handy having multiple options though. If one won't start one day before work just hop in something else and deal with it later.
Posted via Mobile Device

·
I Am Second
58,061 Posts
Not sure if I should just save for medical cost or use HSA. Still go back and forth with investing HSA or not.

·
I Am Second
58,061 Posts
Not sure if I should keep $500 or $1000 in cash. Probably the 1k.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I'd love to earn back the original investment as well. I've owed each year throughout recent years and have an inclination this will be the most exceedingly terrible one yet.

·
I Am Second
58,061 Posts
Its been over 3wks now since my 401k contributions have been updated, not sure who's at fault here.

·
I Am Second
58,061 Posts
Finally reaching 10K net worth soon! Just the beginning :).

·
Registered
1,331 Posts
Not sure if I should keep $500 or $1000 in cash. Probably the 1k.
Finally reaching 10K net worth soon! Just the beginning :).
Congrats Kevin - and good luck in striving for your future goals.

If you've got no loans then 3-6 months living expenses is a good cash pot (I wouldn't be surprised if you've come across Dave Ramsay at some point - who's advice I find... okay). Personally, I'd only be okay settling for $1k cash if the rest of my money was going in extremely conservative investments (which isn't the case). But you're way ahead of the average person either way.

·
I Am Second
58,061 Posts
Congrats Kevin - and good luck in striving for your future goals.

If you've got no loans then 3-6 months living expenses is a good cash pot (I wouldn't be surprised if you've come across Dave Ramsay at some point - who's advice I find... okay). Personally, I'd only be okay settling for $1k cash if the rest of my money was going in extremely conservative investments (which isn't the case). But you're way ahead of the average person either way.
Yeah Ramsey is cool, he was the first financial guy I learn from awhile ago. No my emergency fund is in high yield online account. Just talking about having cash at home for sudden emergencies. I got different levels. Cash is 1st step for something urgent, local bank is 2nd has 1 month expenses in it, then 3rd it would take 2-3 days to pull emergency fund online. So the cash and local bank are my buffers till I can pull the EF money. Then my Roth IRA is the break the glass emergency.

·
Registered
1,331 Posts
Yeah Ramsey is cool, he was the first financial guy I learn from awhile ago. No my emergency fund is in high yield online account. Just talking about having cash at home for sudden emergencies. I got different levels. Cash is 1st step for something urgent, local bank is 2nd has 1 month expenses in it, then 3rd it would take 2-3 days to pull emergency fund online. So the cash and local bank are my buffers till I can pull the EF money. Then my Roth IRA is the break the glass emergency.
Ah cool - so the $500-$1000 is level one. Hmmm... well it's a good level for an immediate emergency. Aside from the obvious security aspect, there's certainly no harm in having it at home - its main use would be if something happened in the weekend when the bank was closed (and indeed a major emergency, as someone would have to be very strict in order to not give you a chance to go to the bank).

·
I Am Second
58,061 Posts
Ah cool - so the $500-$1000 is level one. Hmmm... well it's a good level for an immediate emergency. Aside from the obvious security aspect, there's certainly no harm in having it at home - its main use would be if something happened in the weekend when the bank was closed (and indeed a major emergency, as someone would have to be very strict in order to not give you a chance to go to the bank).
Yeah you just never know, blackout, etc. 1k cash and around 2k in local bank should be good enough to cover me for 2-3 days. Can't see where I would need more than that in the matter of 48hrs.

·
Banned
48 Posts
Finance thread? Cool. You'd think (so many socially anxious people, maybe not best employment history) there'd be more into personal finance here. I started a bit less than a decade ago at 29. I can buy a starter flat now (haven't yet), got some savings, got some crypto, a few other assets.. Had nothing to start with. So there's hope. 'Rich Dad, Poor Dad' - Robert Kiyosaki. Must read. Cashflow, that's the key. Start with cutting expenses. Walk instead of taxi's, switch to cheap brands or bulk buy etc. Or intermittent fast and lose bodyfat at the same time. Great audiobook: 'The Richest Man in Babylon' It's on YT and other places. I've listened to that book so many times.

·
Barbells and kittens
3,904 Posts
We started renting out my wife's house last month. It had been just sitting since I bought the place we live now last summer. Were kind of on the fence about whether to rent or sell. I still think housing prices will continue to go up, so for now renting it seems like the better choice.

Also refinanced my truck this week from 6.04% to 2.79%. Will save me around $2500 or so over the rest of the loan. Crazy my auto loan now has lower interest than my mortgage, which is at 3%.

And now to the bad news.

Crypto portfolio down quite a bit at the moment. Still feeling good long term though and actually still way up from my initial investment.

Might end up losing the opportunity to make an additional $200-300 a week at work. It's been over six months since the guy quit that a few of us take turns doing his work. They're talking about hiring another part time person to cover it again. I'm hoping they don't obviously, it's been nice having the extra cash.

·
I Am Second
58,061 Posts
Making an extra $500 a month is my end of the year goal now.

·
Registered
118 Posts
I just put 5 grand into bitcoin at 34,000. Was doing crypto a few years ago and got out after the crash but I still had my coinbase pro account. When I saw it drop I told myself when it hit under 35,000 I would buy in for my diversification with crypto investments. I don't know I could be wrong but I don't see bitcoin going much lower than 30,000 at least not for long so it should end up paying off for me.

·
Barbells and kittens
3,904 Posts
I just put 5 grand into bitcoin at 34,000. Was doing crypto a few years ago and got out after the crash but I still had my coinbase pro account. When I saw it drop I told myself when it hit under 35,000 I would buy in for my diversification with crypto investments. I don't know I could be wrong but I don't see bitcoin going much lower than 30,000 at least not for long so it should end up paying off for me.
Even if it does get below 30k in the short term it's still going back up long term. It's proven this time and time again. Next halving is in 2024. I still think we'll have another leg up beyond the current ATH before the year is over.

I sold some of my Bitcoin at $58,500, but I'm still holding most of mine that I bought a few years ago. I started DCA'ing back into ETH during this crash, too. I sold all that I had before at $1800 unfortunately. But I'm keeping what I have and accumulating more even if this turns into a bear market until the next halving in 2024.

·
Registered
118 Posts
Even if it does get below 30k in the short term it's still going back up long term. It's proven this time and time again. Next halving is in 2024. I still think we'll have another leg up beyond the current ATH before the year is over.

I sold some of my Bitcoin at $58,500, but I'm still holding most of mine that I bought a few years ago. I started DCA'ing back into ETH during this crash, too. I sold all that I had before at $1800 unfortunately. But I'm keeping what I have and accumulating more even if this turns into a bear market until the next halving in 2024.
Hopefully it won't be that long this time. It went straight down in like 3 days, it could go back up just as fast.

·
I Am Second
58,061 Posts
Think I'll just keep $500 in cash reserves instead of 1K, can't see myself needing more than $500 at any one time meh.

·
I Am Second
58,061 Posts
Can't wait to hit coast fire at 40.

·
Registered
1,598 Posts
Think I'll just keep $500 in cash reserves instead of 1K, can't see myself needing more than $500 at any one time meh.
I could personally think of a lot of emergency's that could come up where $500 would not be enough. Car repair more then that, unexpected medical or vet bills. House repair. Have to miss work for some reason. Lots of things can go wrong.

241 - 260 of 270 Posts