Social Anxiety Support Forum banner
1 - 20 of 67 Posts

· Registered
1,637 Posts
Got 4 allocations lower 2 are at 23% now might wait till they near 20%.
So you want to rebalance all 4 of them to 25 percent each? Your not to far off at all so I would wait to rebalance until it gets a bit more out of balance. Is there a fee to rebalance or a limit to how many times you can rebalance? If not then there is no penalty so you might as well just rebalance now

· Registered
1,637 Posts
I wish there was a job i could do for like 2-3 hours every sunday for some extra cash. I signed up for this banquet thing a few years back where I was a server at a hotel for a day or 2 and could pick my days in advance through an app. but its too tiring and 1 day events are rare.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
If you are able to drive jobs like Uber or lyft would be good. Or you could do the delivery services like doordash. Set your own schedule and work when you want to

· Registered
1,637 Posts
Why are homes so expensive? With the taxes and insurance plus the interest rate phew.
Depends on where you live. I live in the suburbs of Wash DC area and to buy just a townhouse it costs you min. of $250,000. Single family home your looking in the 3 to 4 hundred thousand range at the low end.

Interest rate are pretty low now to buy a house so that should not be a problem. You can get a 30 year mortgage in the 4 percent range. Which is very good historically.

What part of louisiana do you live in? Expensive are like New Orleans or out in the swamp somewhere? lol If your outside the city I imagine you could find a affordable house to buy. Dont buy unless you have 20 percent to put down at least. Saves you a lot of money

· Registered
1,637 Posts
My financial goals are:

~ Be debt free by 31
~ Have 6 month emergency fund by 32
~ Start investing 15% for retirement at 32
~ Have at least 20% for downpayment for a home by age 37 (150K range if single)
~ Have paid off home by 50
~ Invest more and be a millionaire by 65
Good plan. What is your income and how much debt do you have if you dont mind me asking? Helps me work the numbers for you

· Registered
1,637 Posts
Are there any better work options around now that you're driving? Factory work maybe? Prison guard pays okay starting out and you could probably get on third shift and not really have to be around the inmates much. Or commercial driving you can expect a fair wage right away. It's not all semis and long distance driving. Plenty of other options like bus driving or local delivery with box trucks.
Posted via Mobile Device
I use to work as a Prison Guard for a few years. It pays decent. You can get a lot of overtime and good benefits. Its a good career. You can move up the ranks pretty quick as well to increase your pay.

Get your CDL is a good option as well. Find a company that will pay for your training

· Registered
1,637 Posts
Is it always a bad idea not to put 20% down? I just bought mine last month with 3% down on a 30 year mortgage at 3.4% interest. No penalties for paying early and I'm shooting for 15 years or less if I don't move. Just didn't want a high monthly payment in case something happened and didn't want to dig deeper into savings for a higher down payment for the same reason.
Posted via Mobile Device
3.4 percent is a pretty good rate that you got. It is a bad idea not to put 20 percent down though. If you put less then 20 percent down you have to have PMI insurance included in your mortgage and that costs a lot more. Look at your mortgage documents you will see how much they are charging you for PMI. Put 20 percent down you have to buy it

· Registered
1,637 Posts
People don't realize unless you invest in the market your money isn't really growing. If you invest right you can be looking at 10% returns vs 3% tops with other savings options. No bank, CD, etc will give you more than that.
Yes if you invest in the market you can make 10 percent or more vs putting your money in a savings option where you will earn far less. But you have risk of a certain portion of your money vs no risk of loss in savings

So you have to judge how much risk your willing to take

· Registered
1,637 Posts
Looked over everything and I'm paying around $80 a month for the PMI. That's no good, so I'm shooting for maybe six months to a year to just go ahead and pay the 20%. Don't want to waste almost $1000 a year for very long.

Posted via Mobile Device
Yea you want to get rid of the 80 bucks a month as soon as possible. Check your mortgage documents to see what you have to do to get PMI removed. Some mortgage companies remove it automatically when you get 20 percent paid off. Others you have to request it be removed. I had to write a letter to them requesting to remove it.

So you got to stay on top of it they are not going to do it themselves without you requesting most likely. They want to keep taking your money!

· Registered
1,637 Posts
Ok so I have about 150 thousand in mutual funds. But owe about 135 thousand on my mortgage at 3.25 percent. Would I be better off pretty much cashing out all my investments and pay off the house with it? Would be debt free with a paid off house once I do that with about 15 thousand left.

Although I am going to owe some capital gains taxes as well if I cash out my investments so I need to figure that in as well.

But I would also save some money by not having to pay interest on the mortgage anymore.

So what is the best option?

· Registered
1,637 Posts
Can't afford to go up to 3% right now, rather pay off my debt faster.

If this is money for retirement I wouldn't pull it out.
I would try to contribute up to the match amount at least. Not going to get a 100 percent return paying off debt. But paying off debt does reduce risk so its a tough call.

My money is not in a retirementment account so their is no penalty to pull it out. If it was I would not even think of paying the taxes and penalty to pay off my house

· Registered
1,637 Posts
Looks like housing prices aren't going to crash. They seem to be going up with people moving out of NYC, CA and all the places that are really crowded and still shut down.
Just read a article on this. Housing and rental prices are dropping in top 5 cities for high income earners. NYC, Wash DC, San Fran, Seattle, Dallas.

Companies realize not they can do a lot of work remotely so they dont need people to live close to headquarters in a major city. So people are moving out to the suburbs and away from the city. Rent and home prices are going through the roof outside NYC in Conn. or the Jersey Shore for example where people want to buy and get out of the city.

So it depends on where you are looking to buy a place. If you want to buy a condo or open a business in downtown NYC you will get a very very good price right now.

Its all about location

· Registered
1,637 Posts
But I'm personally very weary of investing in any market marked by rising prices. I like to buy after the crash not just before it. I always buy stocks on the dips for instance and therefore always maximize my gains and don't have to worry about market corrections.
Very well said. That is the key to any successful investment. Dont buy at the top of the market. Wait for the dip and swoop in and buy.

The hard part if figuring out if the investment is (cheap) or going down in price due to just a temporary market correction. In which place it is a great time to buy. Or if it is a bad investment. House in a declining neighborhood or a company stock that is in a declining industry or has other problems within the company such as declining sales.

So buy the dip just make sure its likely to be a temporary dip.

1 - 20 of 67 Posts