Social Anxiety Support Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was given this about book a month ago, I honestly didn't open it up and start to read it until a week because it looked kind of cheesy (especially the authors picture on the front). I have to say I'm glad I did open it up. I have read numerous self help books, I would have to put this on in my top 3 and I haven't even finished it yet.

It is a must have for learning the simplest approach to Cognitive Behavioral Therapy. The author (David D. Burns M.D.) is an expert on this, he is the Professor of Psychiatry & Behavioral sciences at Standford University.The book is very well written & layed out. I was suprised at how well the author did at making this an easy read, being that the book is so large. But it's not all reading, it's a workbook that shows you easy approaches to change the way you look at things.
Anyway, This is a great book on battleling anxiety, depression & building your self esteem!

·
Registered
17 Posts
Yeah, it's good stuff...and evidence for that old adage "you can't judge a book by its cover". Seriously, I wonder how many people have seen this wonderful little work in a bookstore and put it right back on the shelf due to that cheezeball author picture.

·
Registered
742 Posts
yeah i think it is a great book too, my family dr. recommended it to me, and i got it from chapter's a couple of months ago

·
Registered
3,102 Posts
I have this book to. I love it. I think the author is pretty funny at times.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Im working through that book right now! The cover really is bad though, I can't even really introduce it to my friends because once they view the cover they tend to shake their heads and the introduction ends there, eh well they know its there if they need it.

·
Registered
31 Posts
I bought this book probably cause someone here said it was good and I did find it really excellent so I bought the handbook (which is actually what's talked about here) and I'm reading that. I think it's excellent I've read many self help books before I even know what was wrong with me but it didn't help then I bought the painfully shy & dying of embarrassment and I found those helpful when I first realized I had S.A.D. and then I went to these are are extremely helpful. the hardest thing will be actually doing the exercises and sticking with it as he said it won't work without them and I can see why that is. So anyone like me who had S.A. for years and years had no idea what was wrong these books are great well great for anyone who has known but I would HIGHLY recommend these books.

·
Yup.. it's me!
2,458 Posts
I have used this book as well.. my therapist recommended it to me... she actually worked with the author for a while...

·
Registered
8 Posts
sorry for bumping this old thread I just wanted to ask a question about this book without making a new thread. When you guys mention the book being really good, do you mean/feel that its putting you on the right track to working towards your SAD/depression and its very helpful? just wondering since I wasnt sure if it meant that or if it meant that the book is just very informative/motivational

·
Registered
134 Posts
There is the Feeling Good, and the Feeling Good workbook. They cover a lot of the same material, but the workbook also has places for you to do excersises. There is also a chapter specifically on social anxiety. I am reading the workbook right now, but I read the other book previously when I was suffering with depression, and it really improved my outlook on things. When I was reading it I had a lot of "aha" moments as I recognized poor behaviours I did myself and then I learned how to modify them.

·
Registered
50 Posts
I am currently reading through it right now and I am very happy with it so far. As LoveThySelf said, there are many "aha" moments.

You definitely have to do the exercises for it to be fully effective, and may need to go back over some stuff make it sink in- with the techniques you have to make an effort to change the way you think. I found this to be the case as I would read a fair bit of the book, and because it was fresh in my mind I applied the techniques that day or the following few days and had great happy days. But as time wears on it is not as automatic unless you refresh yourself. I think after a few times it just becomes automatic thinking- and I guess overall that is the whole point of the book, to change your thinking and make rational responses automatic.

You really do have to keep up with the exercises to make everything stick.

I'd definitely recommend this book.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Jaygr is absolutely right, as are others above. You must do the exercises. I've read plenty of books before which ask you to and never did. This one - you absolutley must.

Its a great book and is helping with my social anxiety significanty. In fact it helps wth the depression elements as well. I recommend it.

One thing which is interesting is a number of academic studies have been done to analyse the effectiveness of the book. The author covers these in the first few pages. The summary is that its as good as a course of therapy or drugs. If you pick it up in a book shop take a look see.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/045228 ... 60?ie=UTF8

·
Registered
690 Posts
Hehe, he sure looks happy :lol

I'm going to look for it too.

·
Registered
4,713 Posts
It has a whole chapter on Social Anxiety which is helpful, though my older version lacks the more recent advances on CBT approaches.

Awesome book, covers everything you coud ever want really. David D Burns is a cheesepiece, but oh so clever :)

Ross

·
Registered
219 Posts
This is probably the best book I've read on cognitive therapy. I used the techniques in the book to give me the courage to ask a guy to have coffee with me. Okay, it was via email, but I still was too scared to ask him until I did the cognitive therapy for a few weeks. I am now married to him. Cognitive therapy can change your life. I just need to get better at sticking with doing the exercises on a daily basis. Burns does a very good job of motivating you to give cognitive therapy a try and convincing you that it really works no matter what objections or arguments you come up with. I highly recommend this book.

·
Registered
4,713 Posts
CBT techniques need to be practised and repeated regularly to have any long term effect. They are not a quick cure by any means and even the behavioural experiments must be repeated again and again to take hold. If you just try the odd technique here and there you should not expect to be surprised when little happens. You're relearning lifelong painful patterns of thinking and behaviour. Commitment and application are essential for CBT to work. If you only fill in forms, and neglect the exposure exercises and safety behaviour removal component, you can expect little to happen in SA.

Ross

1 - 20 of 26 Posts