Social Anxiety Support Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm 23 years old and have always been extremely shy in group situations, to the point of nearly being mute. In small small group settings I am quite a bit more out going. However, the hardest part to me is coming out of that "quiet" label. Everyone knows me as "the quiet girl" and to all of the sudden become more talkative seems impossible. No one seems to understand "shyness." I feel like I have a fun loving personality and have a lot to offer but I cannot seem to break this cycle. Whenever I start a new phase in my life, I decide that I will become more outgoing in this new setting. It never happens. I try to set a date to become the person I've always wanted to be. That person doesn't emerge. I usually resort to denying the fact that I am embaressingly shy. But its getting harder and harder to deny to myself.

What in the world can I do??? :sus

PS. It nearly brings tears to my eyes to read everyone else's posts and see that there are others who feel the way I do.

·
Drinking
370 Posts
All I know is to be myself. I try to calm myself down by just thinking, well if they don't like me then so what. That loosens me up sometimes in the moment, but at night I might think about how much of an idiot I was. So that thinking of being myself and not caring is only temporary.
But we, and others, are just not outgoing. There's no changing that. It's ok to be with yourself. It's just a matter of finding the right friends and people to associate with. So far, I haven't found that.
I also know I have a lot to offer, but just can't ever find a way to get it out :(
I know, you wanted an answer, I'm sorry I don't have one. Someone else may be able to give you the answer you're looking for. But I'm still searching as well..

·
Registered
1,049 Posts
I used to feel that way in school. I was always the quietest person in class and if I were to suddenly start talking a lot I'd be afraid everyone would be shocked and surprised.

People don't think that way though. If anything seeing you start to talk more is a positive thing to them. It's normal for "shy" people to become comfortable and start talking more around people.
Start by talking to people one-on-one. Whenever you come into a one-on-one situation you're comfortable with, start a conversation with them and let them know you're interested in talking. Gradually you might feel comfortable talking in larger groups of people.

·
Registered
104 Posts
I know, it's hard when you have been the "quiet" person all your life to suddenly start being more open. People will be surprised and comment on it which can be embarassing. But, if you think of a loud person that suddenly was quiet and didn't talk much you'd wonder what happened, though, right? So, it's a normal reaction. I wouldn't let it bother me. If you want to talk more then just do it. If someone comments about it, just shrug and let it roll off.

I have pretty much accepted that I am a quiet, reserved person that's more shy than everyone else. I don't think that'll ever change and I'm ok with it. It's me and if others think that's boring, oh, well, I'm not here to please them. But, for me, I just want to be more confident, not be afraid to speak when I WANT to, and not be terrified of being center of attention or afraid to try new things.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts