Social Anxiety Support Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Banned
12,147 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
OK. Here's the deal.

I shave my head and the Mach 3 razor does a nice job (with few cuts and no razor burn) but it eats through them like crazy. And at $25 for a 16 pack, they're too expensive to be burning through them like this.

So I'm looking for a good, cheap disposable razor. One that won't cut the piss out of me or clog up easily. I tried some kind of Gillette razor my dad had but the back of the head is almost completely closed off and it clogs really easy.

And yes. I've seen the Head Blade but I've heard that it's easy to cut yourself and the blades aren't cheap.

I would give a safety razor a try but I can't buy one around here.

·
Retired Enforcer
19,112 Posts
You're shaving your head. Of course you're going to go through blades.

Get an electric.

·
Banned
12,147 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Get an electric.
I have one. A pretty good one, in fact. It leaves patches. I use it for my first pass on my face. It doesn't do too well on the softer hair on my head. Anyway, I need it smooth and the electric doesn't do it right. I just think it's crazy to be burning through razors that cost $2 a pop for 2-3 shaves. There must be a cheap razor that does a decent job. It doesn't have to be fancy as long as it doesn't tear me up.

·
Banned
38,431 Posts
Are you really bald enough that shaving is the best option?

I trim my hair down to 3mm with a cordless Norelco clipper that I just bought for $15 (will be $10 after $5 mail in rebate). Works really well.

I once accidentally went even shorter. I forgot to put on a guard and after having a streak on the back of my head, I was forced to trim it all off so as to not look totally ridiculous. If I lost even more hair I can imagine potentially going to that ultra-short level that would be hard to even measure.

I don't mean to brag, but I find that my head actually does have a pretty good shape. But I would personally avoid the shaved-with-a-razor look as I don't care for the shine & white guys tend to suffer from the cue ball look. Even the stubble left by a trimmer with no guard is better as it at least cuts down on the shine issue. (Shaved works far better for those with darker skin.)

This advice comes from a guy who has about as much hair as actor Jason Statham. Unfortunately, I lack the very fit athletic look he has. Ladies probably don't notice his hair loss so much due to his body and fame and money.

·
Banned
38,431 Posts
So I'm looking for a good, cheap disposable razor. One that won't cut the piss out of me or clog up easily.
A single blade has far less problem with clogging. Unfortunately, there seems to be a sort of arms race in the shaving industry to see who can have the most blades. What are they up to now -- is it 5? It seems this all started when the twin blade was introduced in 1972. Then we needed 3, then 4, and I have no idea how many they're up to now, but seems they're aiming for infinity.

·
Banned
12,147 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Are you really bald enough that shaving is the best option?
No. I have a scalp itch problem that only calms down when I shave completely bald and apply good lotion. I don't particularly enjoy walking around in public bald (since I had hair for most of my life) but it beats sitting around suffering with an intolerable itch all the time any day.

I also found that I like not having hair. It's beside the point but it's a nice side benefit. You spend about an hour and a half a week maintaining it and you don't have to screw around with the daily aggravation of combing/brushing your hair or worrying what it looks like or washing it. You get up out of bed, splash your face and your head with some water and you're good.

I guess I see the benefits even more because if my hair gets longer than about an inch, it looks terrible. It goes wherever it wants to and will not lay in place when I try combing it. It's nice to not have to fight with it. If I feel too uncomfortable being bald in public, maybe I'll get a hat or something.

I trim my hair down to 3mm with a cordless Norelco clipper that I just bought for $15 (will be $10 after $5 mail in rebate). Works really well.
That sounds good but I have to be completely smooth or I itch. It gets more complicated when you have to go smooth. If you miss anything, it shows from a mile away. If you use the wrong razor, you tear yourself a new *** and get razor burn and ingrown hairs from hell. This is the main reason I settled on the Mach 3 years ago. It's not perfect but it seems like every time I try to use anything else, I pay dearly for it.

I don't mean to brag, but I find that my head actually does have a pretty good shape.
You're lucky. I have a weird dent in the back of my head. I'm afraid to take pictures and look at what I look like from the side.

But I would personally avoid the shaved-with-a-razor look as I don't care for the shine & white guys tend to suffer from the cue ball look.
There's actually this lotion you can buy from Head Blade that gives your head a matte finish instead of a shiny one. I kind of prefer the shiny look because my skin looks a little strange otherwise. A tan would help a lot but I haven't gotten enough sun for that for ages.

A single blade has far less problem with clogging. Unfortunately, there seems to be a sort of arms race in the shaving industry to see who can have the most blades. What are they up to now -- is it 5? It seems this all started when the twin blade was introduced in 1972. Then we needed 3, then 4, and I have no idea how many they're up to now, but seems they're aiming for infinity.
Yeah. I bought a Fusion when they first came out just to see how I'd like it. Mach 3 is actually better, IMO. It's insane for shaving your head. The Fusion drags/pulls the hair out by the roots! The Mach 3 pulls a little but not nearly as bad. Anyway, the Mach 3 has a "suspension system" of sorts that seems to really reduce cuts and razor burn. If you use good shaving cream/gel you almost never get any of that at all.

There is a trick you can use. If you dry your blades and coat them with oil between shaves it makes them last significantly longer. But I was hoping to find something hassle free. This adds some hassle. I don't like throwing a two dollar razor away after only a couple of uses but going through this ritual of fastidiously drying the blades and oiling them every time you shave is pretty irritating.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.