Social Anxiety Support Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
The Necronomicon is available in paperback from most larger bookstores, unless it went out of print. It was considered cool to have a copy back when I was in high school.

It's more or less what you'd expect-- formulae, magical chants, incantations, ways to "Call Upp" and "Put Downe" the dead from a preparation of their "Saltes", ways to breed things outside the spheres, lots of stuff about Cthulhu, Azathoth, Yog-Sothoth, Shub Niggurath (The Goat With A Thousand Young) and all those other Lovecraft mythos sorts of things. (I've read way too much Lovecraft....) Naturally, none of it works, as it's not real magic (whatever 'real magic' means LOL). It sure looks and seems evil, though.

Abdul Alhazred was a figment of Lovecraft's imagination, as were most (but not all) of the "Evill Bookes" that he mentions (Lovecraft was fond of adding historical and pseudohistorical information to his stories to add to the verisimilitude, and to great effect. The name of this "mad Arab," in fact, is grammatically redundant in Arabic.). And (being from New England) I can attest that there is no such river in Massachusetts as the Miskatonic, nor is there a university of that name. There are also no towns named Dunwich, Innsmouth, or Arkham. Ipswich and Rowley are real places, however; as are Providence's North Burial Ground and Benefit Street (an area Lovecraft himself lived near), and the nearby Christian Science church, just as he described them. (Yes, I've rad FAR too much Lovecraft... LMAO)

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.