Social Anxiety Support Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
IS TERRIBLE, lets get this genre of music back to something we don't have to be ashamed of.
COPY MY SIGNATURE IF YOU FEEL THE SAME WAY!

·
Registered
61 Posts
I don't like any of those names in your signature, you should be ashamed. Rap, from the very start, has always been poor. :sus

·
Registered
195 Posts

·
She-Wolf
5,985 Posts
a lot of mainstream rap/hip-hop, and any genres, have always been bad. we just don't remember some of the crap from any previous decades because, well, it's crap.

there is still some good hip-hop/rap around these days. you just haven't found it yet or you are looking in the wrong places. relying on the most popular music as being a representation of any genre is very inaccurate anyway

·
In the doghouse
1,165 Posts
The Beastie Boys declared recently that they're returning in September to "rescue the hip hop industry from its' current state". So, have no fear, everything will be right again soon...lol But, I agree with what was stated above. Do some more digging & you'll find plenty of quality hip hop. There's just more crap on the market than there used to be.

·
Buried at Sea
5,104 Posts
If what you say is true, the Shaolin and the Wu-Tang could be dangerous.

·
:/
957 Posts
Maybe you're just growing up? But there's still a lot of good artists. They are just harder to find. Remember how great Black Eyed Peas first 2 cds were? (Before Fergie) They rapped about how they weren't going to sell out and how they wanted to rap about more important issues than partying and other BS. They were largely ignored but when they put out their 3rd CD suddenly people noticed them. But their music had changed and not for the good. It was mostly a party CD with little substance. Sometimes, that's what gets you noticed apparently.

I think Kanye West is very good. Even if you don't care for his rapping, he is a good producer. He helped produce Common's Be CD. He also respects and knows a lot about the history of rap. Definitely one of the today's best popular rappers.

·
Positively Revolting Hag
6,547 Posts
..For some reason after reading this thread I now have It's Like That by Run DMC stuck in my head.

I'm not much of a fan of hip-hop but there is some good stuff if you take a good look.

·
Registered
3,553 Posts
Never heard of South Park Mexican..

I love rap. The commercial stuff sucks, but the underground scene is full of talent, but of course you never hear their stuff.

·
Registered
690 Posts
I think underground rap is doing pretty well and has made alot of advances since the golden age of hip hop. Mainstream rap on the other hand has defiently fallen off pretty hard. I mean A Tribe Called Quest, Wu Tang, De la Soul, and other very talented groups use to be hip hops mainstream. Now all everyone talks about are terrible/mediocre artists like T.I, T Payne, and Flo Rida. Its terrible and has made hip hop a joke to most people. It's not really deifferent then most other generes though. I mean metal's mainstream is made up of mostly terrible metalcore and nu metal(not that all bands in that genre are bad). Punk in the mainstream is just poser pop punk faux emo bands too. So its like that for pretty much all music.

·
Staying positive
754 Posts
Yea that autotune stuff is brutal. Most mainstream stuff now has absolutely NO meaning at all in the lyrics. Just listen to the beats, it's all club sh*t. I'm not saying the music isn't catchy, but the lyrics are dumbed down way too much. Let's face it, stuff on the radio isn't REAL hip-hop, it's stuff that teenagers like to bump to. It's what sells and the record companies know this.

It's too bad because rap gets a pretty bad rep just based on what is heard on the radio. Like Nas said Hip-Hop is dead.

·
Registered
690 Posts
Yea that autotune stuff is brutal. Most mainstream stuff now has absolutely NO meaning at all in the lyrics. Just listen to the beats, it's all club sh*t. I'm not saying the music isn't catchy, but the lyrics are dumbed down way too much. Let's face it, stuff on the radio isn't REAL hip-hop, it's stuff that teenagers like to bump to. It's what sells and the record companies know this.

It's too bad because rap gets a pretty bad rep just based on what is heard on the radio. Like Nas said Hip-Hop is dead.
I completely agree. I don't even really care about lyrics but I can only take so many lyrics about drinking and partying. The production in alot of mainstream hip hop is just aweful and uncreative. And the autotune is probably one of the worst offenders too.

·
Registered
238 Posts
I used to love rap music.
Tupac I believe was a genius and an amazing poet.
I lived and breathed Tupac, Biggie, Nas during my younger teenage years.

I don't listen to rap music anymore. I can't stand it.
I gave it up 2 years ago. I don't know what happened, it is sad really.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts