Social Anxiety Support Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
resident classicist
4,408 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My computer has recently broken. What happened is that it no longer charges, no matter what I do I can't get it to realize that it's actually plugged in. I think it's an issue with the connector of the laptop and the power cord, because it stopped working in phases - I'd have to turn the cord a certain way, or twist it, and it'd work again. Now it's stopped working entirely. I asked someone about it, I doubt he's incredibly computer-savvy but his first thought was that the box that connects the first part of the power cord (wall plug to box) and the second part (box to laptop) had shorted. Which would be wonderful, because that'd be really cheap to fix. But I doubt that's the case.

Okay, so - is this an issue that will kill my computer indefinitely? Is it even fixable?

·
···---···
3,375 Posts
I would test out your hypothesis by finding someone who has the same laptop and trying their transformer/adapter. They also have universal adapters but you have to make sure it's the right volt/amp/polarity that your laptop uses.

·
···---···
3,375 Posts
Or if you have a geeky friend who happens to have a multi-tester, you can use that to check if it's your adapter that's broken. If it's your transformer that's broken, I don't think those are easy to fix. But the way you described sounds like it's just a loose wire which would be easy to repair. You'd have to open it up (make sure it's unplugged!) and reconnect the wire. But it might be worth it just to spend the $15 to get a new adapter instead.

·
Registered
582 Posts
My guess would be either the powercord/transformer or maybe the computers motherboard. Does the cord where it plugs into the laptop wiggle a lot and seem loose or worn?

I'd rule out the power cord first, some tech stores sell universal laptop power cables as well as the manufacturers. They are fairly cheap, lenovo adaptors are around 45$ Canadian so most should be around that range more or less. If a new power cord does not fix the issue it is likely something internal that may require repair.

·
resident classicist
4,408 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
My guess would be either the powercord/transformer or maybe the computers motherboard. Does the cord where it plugs into the laptop wiggle a lot and seem loose or worn?

I'd rule out the power cord first, some tech stores sell universal laptop power cables as well as the manufacturers. They are fairly cheap, lenovo adaptors are around 45$ Canadian so most should be around that range more or less. If a new power cord does not fix the issue it is likely something internal that may require repair.
Yes, it wiggled a lot. Is that bad? Does that mean it has to go back to the makers to get fixed?

1 - 7 of 7 Posts